small battery

I wired up the Duracell 12v2.9ah last night and had to nearly start from scratch so i followed the basic diagram from the tcbros reg/rec and im not getting any spark when I kick it.
I didnt put the wire in line for the head and tail lights just yet but they'll be wired to a toggle in the future.
I put the stock positive and negative to my car battery and she fired up so my first thought was the battery is too small but if you guys are running 0.8's that cant be it right?
Is there something obvious that I'm missing here?

Hi Dalton,
like my dear departed ma-in-law used to say:-
"Pride must be pinched" and "You must suffer to be beautiful."
What you are missing is that an XS650 was designed to run with a decent sized battery.
What is obvious is that your problem went away when you used one.
Want a bike that looks trick or one that starts and runs?
You choose.

i would humbly say that you can have both....just need to be aware of the challenges/issues and being accepting of them and plan accordingly....ie have a friend on speed dial with a trailer! i too am working through a kick only, PMA, PAMCO, sparx capacitor with a small battery on a build.

Hi wrmdovr,
I just checked your photo album and see really good build skills and a common motif.
A contempt for rear suspension and teleforks plus a denial of the need for a front brake.
That last gonna put your life at risk.
Ride safe, eh?

Hi fred......appreciate the comments......the long rainy winters here in seattle contribute/conspire to trying to do something productive other than layering on winter fat! at age 54 there is no contempt for suspension or safety just wanting to create something that i like to ride and is hopefully visually inspiring to others. the shocks that i use for the seat really do provide a "comforable" ride and honestly....these are not built for cross country riding....just going to the store or post office.
WRMDOVR

DaltonDixon, I'm running a 12V
electrics2.JPG
1,3AH and my system works fine. Stock reg/rectifier and lights and horn wired off the ignition through two relays. Starts 1-3 kicks every time.

....these are not built for cross country riding....just going to the store or post office.
WRMDOVR

Hi WRMDOVR,
and those short local rides is where the local blind-eyed cell-phone-yakking SUV-driving soccer moms are thickest.
Not to mention the pickup drivers who wear ball caps to hide their circumcision scars.
Only had to lock up my XS650s dual disk braked front wheel twice in all the years since I did the upgrade.
Both times to avoid a negligent driver running a red light at a busy downtown intersection.

Hi Fred......completely agree. Those type of drives scare me to death.......the best advice i ever received was to ride as if everyone is trying to hit you, have an escape plan/route and oh yeah......have fun! Fortunately i live out in a sparsely populated area near Mt. Rainier with great roads and a pretty motorcycle alert/awere/tolerent communities.

Hi WInged....i have purchased the 1.2 and .8 models, however my PAMCO died and cant test until the replacement shows up.....but good to know that you are having success. WRMDOVR

HI Fred....I just uploaded some pictures of the finished product on the banana girder bike....kick only, internal twist throttle, jockey shirt. the hardest part was making the leather grips......i have finally entered into my "arts and crafts" phase! WRMDOVR

are you guys using the stock pos&ground wires on the bike? Because anytime I put power to those the e-start promptly speaks up and kills my very small battery. How the hell do I make that not happen? What I was doing before was set the whole harness up without using them and I'm thing that may be my problem.
(If this is an extremely dumb question please go easy I'm a dumb kid and this is my first build)

are you guys using the stock pos&ground wires on the bike? Because anytime I put power to those the e-start promptly speaks up and kills my very small battery. How the hell do I make that not happen? What I was doing before was set the whole harness up without using them and I'm thing that may be my problem.
(If this is an extremely dumb question please go easy I'm a dumb kid and this is my first build)

Hi Dalton,
if your E-starter is still in place (adding nothing but extra weight because it takes the stock battery to run it) it certainly shouldn't be connected to anything. Nor (if they are still in place) should the starter button, the starter relay or any associated wiring.
The black wire from your mini-battery should go to ground. It's red wire should go through a 20Amp fuse, tee into the red wire from the rectifier and that common red wire should go to the ignition switch.
WTF did yours go?

Dalton, unless you're hitting the starter button there should be no power going to the E-start circuit. Try disconnecting the solenoid from the pos cable that comes from the start button. I eliminated those components completely from my bike but did use a smaller battery in the past on another bike and just used the kick and it worked fine but it was a different model/make. Were you having issues with a stock battery before you went to the small one? If so it kinda sounds like you have a short in your starter circuit somewhere, possibly the solenoid itself. Can you post a pic of the TC Bro's diagram you used?

This is the diagram.
I don't have the headlight or taillight wired in yet but they'll be on a toggle so I can leave them off till after I start it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 310
Very strange, that's the exact harness I used but I eliminated all the excess components beforehand. I also simplified the lighting by using a relay to turn on the lights instead of a toggle because I'm not smart enough to remember to turn the toggle off every time and I didn't want to kill the battery. Are you running this harness on a stock bike or doing a build?

I'm doing a "build". The PO (not a smart man) had it pulled down to nothing and one of the coils is from a tractor or something which I still have because it works for now. So all the wiring I'm having to make and I was thinking that would make life easier because I wouldn't have to dig through a rats nest. I was wrong.
Im not even getting a spark on the battery when I tap the hot to it so I was thinking a ground issue but using the same ground and tapping the stock hot sparks and the bikes tries to turn over.
Anyone in upstate sc want to come by? I have beer

When you say you're "tapping" the hot, do you mean the starter tries to turn over? That small battery will not power that starter. it needs to be kick only.

I got it! I tore it all off and did it again. Don't know what I did the first time but it's running now so thanks for all your help fellas!

Back