smoking, gas in oil

I bought these boots about 5 years ago.
IMG_0372-vi.jpg

Pressure plate screw mod finished. Sure is clean in there. cleaner than I remember when I rebuilt it. I guesse that's what happens when u run solvent thru your motor for a couple miles. lol
Everything looks good. star wheel on the shift shaft looks as it should, dowels equally spaced. no crud. Not that I had trouble shifting or anything. Just a good idea to have a look around.
Now to get this clutch cover gasket off. I use yamabond with the gasket before. I don't want to do that again. but I will if Im sposed to.

Now to get this clutch cover gasket off. I use yamabond with the gasket before. I don't want to do that again. but I will if Im sposed to.

If it wasn't leaking leave the gasket where it is. Unless you had sealer on both sides. In that case weigh taking it off and cleaning everything, or just cleaning the cover side and cover. If it's that tough black original gasket try to re-use it. Normally it goes on with no sealer on either side, and you can re-use it many, many times.

it ripped in one 10mm spot. new one goes on. when I rebuilt this motor, there was a black gasket there.
no sealer it is. thanks.

all back together.
Went for my jug of 15-40 rotell......not enuf. gonna test fire tomorrow.

all back together, 2 and 1/2 quarts of oil, or more like , fill until the oil is at second mark on dipstick, bike leveled, 1980 dipstick. I think that's were I usually had it.
I put in 15-40 mag diesel oil, cj-4. Didn't see a jaso-ma rating, but I found a thread about oil recently that 5twins listed the api seals of what not to use, and this api seal was not there. I guesse I will see when I take it out for a spin, if it ever stops raining out here.
Started on first kick, after priming once with choke on, kill on. But the idle was really low. It was fine before with the brass floats. Would switching to the plastic floats change the idle?
I hooked up my tach, and set it to 1200 rpm's. Purrs like a kitten. No gas pissin from the carbs.
When It does stop raining, I have to flip a coin to see if I mow the lawn, or ride the bike. lol
Thanks guys. Ill post back after a ride to see if my clutch slips. I also did the capscrew/sleeve mod to the clutch. Is 7ft/lbs really enuf on those?

thanks, joe.
btw, since your here, have you had many 650's? I bought this bike in boxes from a friend in Puyallup. It was bought with another 650.
My motor had a 15tooth front sprocket. smaller than stock.

Yes angus, ive had a few, tho my first was only in 2011, ive since owned 4 others, 2 now... and then convinced my BIL, to buy 2 more of his own. I never sell them non running though, thats the best part, resurrecting the dead.

Hope im not stepping on any toes because ive been an xs650 owner for such a short time.

I bought this back in 06. Don't worry about how long you've had them. your here now. welcome.

wasn't raining today, so I flipped a coin-mow lawn, or test ride bike.
Well, what do you know? it landed on it's edge!
Last week I ordered a new clutch cable from motion pro, and a new lever, the old one had the pivot hole all oval, and looked like it was about to brake. glad I got in to that.
Put all that jazz on. got it all back together.
Then I mowed the lawn.
Went back to the bike, checked the oil, check! checked tire pressure, check!, prime, on , kick, started first kick. let it idle there for a few minutes, no white smoke coming out exhaust, grab helmet and go for it.
Motored around the block(3miles) flogged it a few times, first time up to 60mph. need to rebalance tires.. This motor has great down low torque, and can pull pretty hard up to a max of what id feel comfortable rpm wise. Clutch held tight.
add mag 1 15/40 to the list of cycle friendly oils.
Had my brother on his 87 intruder followme. When we got home, he said he didn't see smoke, didn't smell anything weird, But my turn signals stopped working. I had just wired them up last weekend. I think when I washed the bike down, I got water in a signal, blew a fuse. didn't really check yet. Too excited that one, I got my chop, that I built up to 60 for the first time, and two, no smoke, and three clutch felt fine.
So I am to assume that the rubber tips on the float valves were the culprit in flooding the engine with gas. When I took them out, one was crooked ,and they were both very easy to take off. I replased the brass floats in my 34's with plastic ones too.

Oil? 20w-50 Motorcycle oil. Without writing a long essay on what I know about oil, "It's made for a motorcycle, duh!" Easy and I know it works.

Tom

If you want a much longer wearing clutch lever, find the assembly (perch and lever) from a late '70s - early '80s Kawasaki. Much wider pivot and it's a bolt-on swap, same mirror threads as well .....

NewClutchLever.jpg

well this one was an original, so would assume the new might wear just as long. its the one motion pro sells. Although that kwaki one looks a lot beefier/better. food for thought I guesse.

While im here, I replaced my clutch cable with a motion pro. looks good, its lined, Teflon I assume, but on the package it says made in Taiwan. is ok? my original has a few kinks in it, and didn't move as well, this one works worlds smoother.
Ill keep the old cable for back up.

Back