Smoking left pipe wrap.. And an update

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I've been pretty busy for the last few months so haven't been here as much as Id like, but im getting back around a bit and figured id give an update and pose a question. For starters, a brief update. Its been a year this month since I bought our most recent home. Its pretty big and 3.5 acres of land and a 35,000 gallon pool has kept me pretty busy. It was a foreclosure so I got some equity in it but at the same time it needed a little work to get into shape. Im not nearly done yet but its a process... so....Needless to say the xs650 got put on the back burner for a bit. I also hurt my back pretty bad....physical therapy and all... back in may and was down for 3 solid months. Now im a bit caught up and back is better and im getting back in the saddle. My bike, for the last year since moving, sits under my carport instead of an enclosed garage like she used to. A nice carport though, she doesn't get rained on but is a bit more exposed than she was before.. I was starting her every now and then but when I hurt my back the idea of kick starting her hurt..just the idea hurt my back.. it sucked.

So, about 2 weeks ago I was feeling froggy and started her up and let her run for a minute.. All was good. I forgot to turn off the petcock and she leaked gas overnight. Small mess on the floor but mostly the left exhaust pipe was soaked with gas. So on this past Saturday I had some time to get her back to good so I pulled the carbs and found a cracked fuel line... Sweet.. carbs are probably ok. Replaced the fuel line and a new filter and put it all back. She started on the second kick but wasn't firing on the right side. Popped in new spark plugs and same problem. Put the originals back in and removed the carbs, did some light internal cleaning and put em back on. She started right up and ran great... I think the pilot was a bit clogged. Took her for a short ride around my neighborhood and parked her.. couple 3-4 miles maybe. When I parked her the left exhaust pipe was smoking....not from the inside of the pipe, from the outside... the wrap itself..top to bottom was smoking. Perfect on the right side. No issues there. The hand test revealed what appeared to be similar temps on both sides... the left side didn't seem any warmer. No laser thermometer available at the moment to check actual temps but all sounded fine and seemed ok to that point. Also, I did check the oil before taking her out. I had changed it not long before I hurt my back and stopped riding. so good there too. I believe it is a result of being soaked with gas a few weeks ago.

Whats your opinions.? Will it catch fire in awesomeness at a stop light, or just burn off and eventually stop smoking.???

Enclosed is a photo of my bike..just because...

and pics of the deck that hurt my back. Each step is s PT 2x12 between 10 and 21 feet. All total its over 400 feet of steps... More than a football field. Lift one the wrong way and a pinched disc will occur. ask how I know.:banghead:

FOOTBALL IS HERE !!!!!! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 226
  • image (12).jpg
    image (12).jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 242
  • image (13).jpg
    image (13).jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Hi Evenmore,
thanks for the update! I'd always supposed that exhaust pipe wrap's sole purpose was to keep the pipes damp so the chrome would rust off quicker.
Now that you point it out, if it's soaked in gas it'll also work to immolate the entire bike.
Me, I'd rip that shit offa there and if the chrome was already fucked I'd fizz the pipes with BBQ paint.
Sorry about the back, although it's said that the root cause of most back trauma ain't stoop labor, it's the excess load you carry on your front.
And those boards ain't been stained yet.
Got friends who will use a paint roller in exchange for a beer and a pool party?

Yeah, I have no chrome under the wrap so Im good there. I figured I would replace the wrap anyway but didn't want to until after this bikefest event this weekend, but it catching fire at the bikefest doesn't sound fun either. Unless Im jumping busse's or something, but Im not scheduled for that.

If my bike does catch fire....i'll get pics to share.

I'll get on the wrap this week. I have extra.

I told my wife yesterday that we need to get those stairs stained but damn, since I got better its like the honey do list is a mile long. Yea, I got some friends to help, but I played that card to finish getting the steps down after I hurt my back. Don't want to cry wolf to many times. I'll probably get em done in the next couple of weeks.

well I put new wrap on my pipes. Now they both smoke and smell bad.

Job well done ! :thumbsup:

Gotta get to those deck steps now.

Back