snort'n Norton, the pointless? thread

Last edited:
.0045" clearance looks like forged piston specs. Re. the roadside repair by the High Priest of the Temple of Speed: the Yamaha could be fixed on the side of the road with minimum fuss. The intrinsic reliability (for its period) of the Yamaha tempted His Rapidity to focus on cosmetics over functional maintenance--human error, no fault of the machine. Wouldn't have happened if he were preparing for an endurance run (probably).

Last edited:
.0045" clearance looks like cast piston specs. Re. the roadside repair by the High Priest of the Temple of Speed: the Yamaha could be fixed on the side of the road with minimum fuss. The intrinsic reliability (for its period) of the Yamaha tempted His Rapidity to focus on cosmetics over functional maintenance--human error, no fault of the machine. Wouldn't have happened if he were preparing for an endurance run (probably).
When I had my XS2 way back in the day I did a run from Chicago to Phoenix in 2-1/2 days averaging 800 miles a day. Needless to say that when I got home I slept on my stomach for a couple of days. Didn't unload the bike for a week.
The only thing that worried me about the bike was all the swarf on the big magnets on the sump plugs. That and the 82 yo man who hung a left in front of me!
Had it repaired but the work was less than satisfactory. The neck bearings weren't replaced, and it felt notchy. The races were dimpled from the impact and the frame where they sat was egged out.

Now, where was I?
Had to reread the thread to more or less find out.
A test tank hooked up, two kicks it started and made a couple laps of the driveways.
Further exam reminded me of why it's been mouldering in the shed.
Still and all, may get some petcocks to stop leaking long enough for a ride or two.
Dang it @Mailman !

Last edited:
Now where was I?
Had to reread the thread to more or less find out.
A test tank hooked up two kicks it started and made a couple laps of the driveways.
Further exam reminded me of why it's been mouldering in the shed.
All and still may get some petcocks to stop leaking long enough for a ride or two.
The Colorado Norton Works have some very good quality petcocks that don't leak. Just because a part looks correct doesn't mean they will work properly.

You’re welcome! 😆

Sounds pretty good though! Didn’t you buy a set of Asian made painted tins for this?
yeah there's a Hindu set in hiding.
20210406_192429.jpg

Slapped some 1/4" IPT by 5/16 barbed fittings and teflon tape, a Briggs and Stratton inline fuel shut off, and did the country block. about 5 miles all (pretty much) good. Didn't have the gas tank bolted down and it got a bit jumpy here n there. Riding while holding down the gas tank; um, not a preferred solution. The Mikuni had a slight miss at about 3K guessing either bump the needle a notch or go up one on the pilot... Start with the needle.
Remembering right foot to shift seemed to be annoying the few remaining brain cells.
Weathervane needs bit of carb work too, prolly that's next. Guessing a float valve issue there. And she has some petcock leaks, Never ending.

Last edited:
Sure looks nice though!

When I tell people I ride an XS650 I always add: “Think Triumph, Norton or BSA - but with actual working lights!
Hey the stock Norton headlight does a fine job of casting a warm glow out upon the front fender!
Actually this one has an LED headlight, with reverse polarity for a proper, positive ground system, though I haven't been brave enough to take a night ride on it yet. :unsure:

Hey the stock Norton headlight does a fine job of casting a warm glow out upon the front fender!
Actually this one has an LED headlight, with reverse polarity for a proper, positive ground system, though I haven't been brave enough to take a night ride on it yet. :unsure:

A warm glow….:laughing:

After waiting for some odd sized brass elbows and waiting again cuz some fleabayer shipped the wrong ones. got the fuel lines put together, good enough for now. While messing around with the gas tank the stock coils interfere with the mounting bolts
KIMG4147.JPG
making it a pain to remove, install. That led to getting rid of the two stock 6 volt coils wired in series and making a bracket to mount an Accel dual tower coil. :thumbsup:
norton under gas tank coil.jpg

It's still hard to kick but is pretty much leaping to life within a couple inches of lever motion. :cool:
Put on 10 miles this morning and it seems pretty good, this isn't on my short list of get "ready to ride all over" bikes but running and rideable is a a good thing. Think I'll try moving the needle up a notch cuz it still stumbles a bit on acceleration.
Decided to put the seat on before riding it. :rolleyes:
Norton RH.jpg

This a rough example of the breed, but hey running!

Last edited:
Back