Soft kickstarter??

Reaction score
Ok, so 1 day and a half mile ride after I get the ignition sorted out, the kickstarter stops working.
It feels like there's no compression, but it was running strong yesterday, and sat in a garage overnight.
After a few tries and a roll back and forth, it feels like there is compression in one cylinder but one is soft. Gave it juice from a car battery, too, just to see if it would fire. No luck there.
The compression thing is just a guess, as I am not nearly calm enough to actually take a look at it.

The kick start functions through the clutch. If improperly adjusted the clutch will slip and the kick start won't turn the engine.
I might start by checking the basics, key on, engine stop switch on, fuel petcock on, does it have spark? Fuel? If so it should run, if it did yesturday.
Leo

That makes sense... the clutch feels strange, too.
It's definitely not any of the usual suspects - fuel, battery, kill switch etc. - the kickstart feels terrible.
Now that you mention it, it does feel like the one or two times i've kicked it while in gear by accident...

After adjusting the clutch cable, were you able to get it running? I think you would be able to tell if you were kicking it over in gear, the whole bike would jump forward.

Back