Sold the Tiger

Got my new seat, super easy install. Not much riding with the new seat yet, but it seems much better than stock.
Added a LED headlight and some fog lights too. Bought a yamaha venture auxiliary light kit from partzilla, they had it marked down to $183 which is about what denali wants for a single d2 light. Unfortunately the price has gone back up now. But they hook into the high beam so they have a high and a low with the headlights.
20230319_142837_HDR.jpg
20230321_082318_HDR.jpg
20230321_082333_HDR~01~01.jpg

Well that seat looks about 100% more comfortable! And those lights will really help oncoming cars to see you! All good stuff!
3A478759-3456-417F-AFD1-AB19D647CD40.jpeg

Well that seat looks about 100% more comfortable! And those lights will really help oncoming cars to see you! All good stuff!
View attachment 239024

Even just sitting on the bike the seat is WAY more comfortable. I have done about 20 miles since installing the seat and can say I understand why so many people recommend seat concepts.

Hopefully soon there will be a morning warm enough to ride to work. Then I'll really know how nice the lights are.

Well, I just can't leave things alone. Have a big bore kit, and should get the freshly ported head back this week. Should bump up the fun.
It's an extremely easy bike to lean in the corners, no chicken strips and I haven't even attempted to push it.

Exhaust was opened up, valves deshrouded, intake roof reshaped and bottom built up to improve short side radius. Pic is the work in process.
Screenshot_20230521-173157.png

Had a 1000 Strom few years ago and put K&N, Dynojet and Two Bros slip ons with the "quiet" tip and it was still louder and more obnoxious than my neighbors Sv1000 with Yoshimura slip ons which always sounds sweet

Had a 1000 Strom few years ago and put K&N, Dynojet and Two Bros slip ons with the "quiet" tip and it was still louder and more obnoxious than my neighbors Sv1000 with Yoshimura slip ons

I had a 650 V-Strom with the Two Brothers exhaust and quiet tip. Quiet my ass, I used to set off car alarms with it , just riding through my neighborhood. 😄 It was beautifully made, but I went back to stock. BTW, Akropovic exhausts are deep without being obnoxious.
IMG_6548.jpeg

Unfortunately the only way to get an akrapovic pipe for a DRZ is second hand. Plus they choked out big bores above mid range.
The yoshimura trs/trc were really good, but again no longer made.
The MRD pipes are supposed to be best for power now, the yoshi rs3 is OK.
I thought my trc header with trc midpipe and shorty rs3 can was a little loud until I was behind a harley at a light. Then I couldn't tell it was running by sound anymore.

So big bore, cams and ported head are installed. It definitely has higher port velocity, I'm going to have to drop the main jet quite a bit. It was all the way down at 10.5:1 wide open. Needle was also rich running 12:1 at 1/4 throttle cruise. Even with running rich it was starting to bring the front up at the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

Getting jetting dialed in, main needs to drop 1-2 sizes still. DMS needle had to be raised a clip, leak jet had to be adjusted down. It was spiking to 10.5:1 when the AP hit, and with 155 main was settling around 12.5-12.8:1. Part throttle cruise was leaner than I like at a little over 15:1 with the needle on clip 2.

It pulls HARD now, hopefully a bit better with the last few tweaks to the jetting. Roll on fast at 10mph in 1st and front wheel comes up and stays up until 3rd.

Wideband probe is really helpful in this process, if I didn't have it I would probably just leave it as is now.
20230602_154421_HDR.jpg

Is your gauge reading consistent? Tried messing with one, but the readings were all over the board.

Yes, if I take the tube off the back its all over the place, but the tube allows enough room that fresh air can't reach the sensor. It also stick into the muffler 12". Without both of those it wouldn't be accurate.
20230602_160216.jpg

So update on jetting this thing. The airbox and backfire screen were restricting airflow. This caused the carb to see higher vacuum and it was going rich past peak torque. It was droppong from 13.3:1 to the high 11s. After removing the right side of the airbox and backfire screen it's only dropping .2-.3 past peak torque, but I've had to go back up on the main jet. Currently it's a 160 main, but probably needs to go to a 165 or 167. It's interesting how big a difference small changes can make.

Everyone on thumpertalk says the backfire screen isn't a restriction, but with the side of the airbox removed it was still going rich by .6afr past peak torque. After removal it's down to only .2-.3. By the time I'm done I'll have learned a lot on jetting.

Back