Reaction score
ngk_sym.gif

or

NGK Plug

thread pitch is 1.25 -a yamaman reminder

Pitch is 1.25mm for 14mm & 12mm threads
1.5mm for 18mm threads
1mm for 10mm threads

- :laugh: i hadnt extrapolated the need past our XS650 but yes, should have included that :D:thumbsup:

Yeah, well most of us would have other bikes I'd guess, so Thought I'd throw it all out there........My TRX 850 has 12mm plugs.......Requiring a 3rd socket to the collection! :banghead:

Just a personal opinion, I prefer Champion plugs, they seem a lot more tolarent than NGK's to excess fuel, mainly from riding brit stuff when you tickled the carbs the NGK's seemed to breakdown alot quicker than the champions, but unfortunately they are getting harder to buy.

- companies are now producing resistor plugs..beware however these are often not true resistors...they have a small coil of nearly resistance-free wire, wound to act like an electronic 'choke'...or, inductance device...electronic ignitions may NOT like it and could lead to problems...this has previously done with spiral-wrapped ignition wire....sold as Suppression Wire

- when using resistor plugs and non-resistor caps, there is a danger that you might install non-resistor plugs later on, and injure your electronic ignition

- better to use the resistor caps as normal, the proper resistance will increase the length of time the spark lasts, allowing better igniting of the fuel-air mixture

- some types of RFI interfere with electronic ignitions and other electronic devices...the resistance in the plug caps have several functions...
reduces the erosion of the electrodes in the spark plugs​
RFI.​
prevents RFI being conducted into wiring and thereby getting to the Hall element in the Boyer Microdigital ignition, etc.​
proper circuit resistance ensures correct spark strength, length and duration...the coil(s) and engine were designed to complement each other​

plug threads

- these wear out, normally due to overtightening-i usually do them up by hand and then give them a quick tweak, and, or carbon contaminated threads-i clean my threads regularly with an old spark plug that i have modified by cutting deeply across the threads with a hacksaw in 3 or 4 places-the cuts collect the carbon and require cleaning several times each operation

Is there any danger to running resistor caps and resistor plugs? I just ordered pamcopete's ignition with the standard coil and the BPR7EIX platinum plugs. You guys think it would be able to overcome the extra resistance?

I guess it will jump the gap regardless, but the resistance will then limit current and lengthen spark duration but reduce spark intensity. I guess I can try it and always swap out the plug caps later if the plugs start fouling too easy.

Back