sparky but no starty...

octopuskilla

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a 73 tx650: pod filters, straight pipes, new mikuni 34's from 650central(mike had jetted for my setup), new pamco ignition, peened bob's on advance and tightened up the springs for better snap, black dual fire coil. I got a newer motor, the previous one had a valve nut w3rk it's way loose and destroyed the piston and cylinder, had to git another one on the fly. Timed it with a degree wheel, has 170 psi on both cylinders, but the damn thing wont start, when it does its only for a few seconds. It would only be running off one cylinder so I cleaned the carbs and changed the plugs. This made it run off both for a bit then then it would go back to 1 cylinder.

What I've done to troubleshoot:
ohmed coil by pamcopetes method, everything fallows his specs, pressure tested spark plugs, left side would not spark under pressure, pulled the brushes and replaced and now has good spark at high psi. ohmed out rotor(6.7k) good by hayes spec. Battery is fully charged, cleaned both carbs with an ocd like attention to detail. Tried a harley coil and found same result, doesnt seem to fire or read with light. I have tried two different timing lights and neither of them flash when I hit the starter, this leads me to believe its the coil, but it ohms out good. Please advise where to go next with this.

Thanks

Hows the endplay on the rotor on the ATU? If its too much the magnets might be too far from the pickup. Add a thin washer on the ATU side(i believe) might help with that.

Back