Speedometer plate loose.

My speedo face rattled around for a while until one day coming home from a vintage show both screws finally dropped out. The face rotated about 90 degrees. Here is basically how I did it.
http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/black-side-down-replacing-Honda-CB-face-plates.aspx
http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/speedo/spedo1.htm
Two other methods I have heard of are taking a dremel tool and cutting the bezel ring at the bottom where it doesn't show and jb welding it back together and painting it.
The other is a Pamco Pete method where you cut the ring off with a dremel and when you reassemble it you use 4"? I think heat shrink as the bezel. Do a search for it or contact Pete and he can line you out. I think there is a step by step post somewhere.
Here is Petes method. I found it.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817

Last edited:
I have been dismantling a few gauges and cleaning the lenses, amazing how much better and old shitty gauge can cone up.
The screw driver method works, ease the lip back a little at a time as you go around and went round about 3 times, less stretch in the lip. Your bike is the 75 so if you take your gauges out of the bracket the shock ring rubber between the gauge and bracket could well be heated on. these rubbers are unavailable as far as i know and i haven't heard of a replacement

I've done the screw driver method a few times, no extra parts needed (cheap).
Also set the odometer to reflect the miles on my top end rebuild, 5,000+ miles at this time- 'course I've got the original miles logged down in my manual.

Don't over tighten those little screws, it will break the faceplate. Just snug and use a bit of clear nail polish on the screws to hold them.

Hi guys,
I'm new to this web-site and just registered today. I have a cracked glass bezel on my speedometer. I've read that some folks attempt to remove the bezel but I don't think I'm up for that and I would not know how to obtain the right replacement glass. Are there any folks that you know of who do this type of repair?

Ross

Welcome Blackpearl!
Maybe you mean the glass lense is broken? The bezel, I believe , is the ring that holds the glass in place. If the glass IS broken already, you've nothing to lose by removing the bezel by any of the methods listed above. I personally have not replaced glass in one but I suppose a glass place might be able to fix you up with a new piece of glass especially if you have the old one to compare to. Of course you could always source a decent used one from ebay or a member here who is taking one apart. I think I have two extra sets of gauges in my parts bin...just in case you know?
There are places that do gauge reburbs and a google search brought up several. Expect to pay a bit though. :thumbsup:

The screwdriver method works better on the older gauges, they had steel bodies. The later gauges have a plastic body. You cant swap a steel body gauge with a plastic body gauge. The taper of the bodies and the bolt spacing is different.

The screwdriver method works better on the older gauges, they had steel bodies. The later gauges have a plastic body. You cant swap a steel body gauge with a plastic body gauge. The taper of the bodies and the bolt spacing is different.

Been doing the early steel gauges TXA/XSB and the later plastic gauges XSC/D and SE type and the screwdriver method works good on all of them.

shock ring rubber between the gauge and bracket

It's essential that they or a substitute be there. I forgot and left them off once and didn't think anything of it until 50 mi. later when the needle broke off my tach and a faceplate screw came out of my speedo. A piece of thin black rubber tube works well for the gasket between the instruments and their housings.

From the 76C Standard and later Specials, all the gauges and rubbers will interchange with the cups.

The 74TXA and 75XSB are a different type of gauge and cup, the rubber shock between the cup and gauge is completely different than the 76C and later models, the gauge mechanism inside is also different because the needle does not have a stop to rest against when it returns to 0.

Thanks Pump and others. Yes, I did mean that the glass was cracked, not the bezel. After I wrote my initial post, I remembered that I had an extra tach in the basement and maybe I could just swap the glass from that tach into my speedo. So I got the old tach out and pried open the bezel with a small screwdriver without any problems. Tomorrow I will remove the bezel from the speedo and hope that the glass is the exact same between the gauges.

Appreciate everyones' input! Ross

Back