Stainless Socket Head bolts on eBait

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I`ve no idea if these are worth it or not but for 20 cents each why not? These would have to be over $100 at Ace HDW. Doesn`t give the thread pitch but I`m taking a chance. I`m sure I`ve pissed away $12.00 on stupider shit before.:shrug:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-...0edb4ca050d04e0b9fadb241c152a8a0|ampid:PL_CLK
s-l225.webp

I notice they don't mention the grades of those stainless bolts. I can't quote spec's off top of my head but many stainless fasteners are of a lower strength than the common black oxide type bolts. Also I believe some stainless fasteners will react with aluminum so be sure to use proper anti-seize with them.

Maybe some of the aviation people here will have more information on this?

I just ordered bags off all the bolts I needed from McMaster Carr but I was doing 2 XS’s and a Honda CJ360T at the same time and had plent to spare. Didn’t really cost that much either.

I can't quote spec's off top of my head but many stainless fasteners are of a lower strength than the common black oxide type bolts
Oh yes, for certain the Chinese stainless hardware at such bargain prices is just great material...
:lmao:

I notice they don't mention the grades of those stainless bolts. I can't quote spec's off top of my head but many stainless fasteners are of a lower strength than the common black oxide type bolts. Also I believe some stainless fasteners will react with aluminum so be sure to use proper anti-seize with them.

Maybe some of the aviation people here will have more information on this?

Oh yes, for certain the Chinese stainless hardware at such bargain prices is just great material...
:lmao:

Well, I work in the oil and gas sector, not aviation, but here is my take anyway:
The most common SS hardware grades are A2-70, A4-70 and A4-80.
A2 or A4 indicates the composition and corrosion resistance, A4 is AISI316.
The number indicates tensile strength, and 80 is close to 8.8, but still a bit lower. "Bultens", a Swedish fastener manufacturer has a special SS grade called "Bumax 88", which is equivalent to 8.8.
For structural use, like calipers, fork pinch bolts, handlebar clamps, etc, I would not use anything less than A4-80. For less critical assemblies, A2 or A4-70 should be ok. If you trust the manufacturer's markings, that is......
I have mixed experience with Chinese made hardware, things like washers being around half of DIN thickness, and also dodgy bolts and shackles.

While fixing up my BS38’s I bought a couple of boxes of M5 SS shcs in 12mm and 25mm lengths. I’ll never use this many in my lifetime so if anyone can use some on their carb restoration project, lmk. The 25’s will be too long and will need to be cut down but the 12mm fit well all around with a lock washer underneath. FREE to local guys. I doubt if it would be economically practical to mail them (but could at recipient’s cost). While supply lasts.

Last edited:
I just picked up this one for $30 bucks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS6...3?pageci=fb9a8f77-3228-432c-8b38-d50f04280040

I pieced one together for a Honda I just rebuilt and it was much more expensive than this and a pain to track it all down and sort.
Beware of stainless in cast aluminum. Molybdenum loaded loaded https://www.antiseize.com/moly-lit-moly-based-anti-seize-compound is your friend. Do take care cleaning the threads. Some are incompletely tapped or swagged. If below the oil level copper washers are required and a bit of clear finger nail polish on the outside before tightening will prevent leaks. Ask anyone that has experienced clutch cover leaks :)

Back