stalling at speed

anysnail

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
first off why did they have to hide my idle adjust screw in such a weird spot? i have an '81 xs650 and when i'm cruising down the road between 3500 and 4000 rpm the motor simply dies. it also dies at other random times. accelerating, decelerating, clutch in, clutch out, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears have all stalled on me.

sometimes it comes back to life and sometimes i have to pop the clutch to get her going again. then again sometimes i just come to a stop and have to kick start the crap outta life (cuz my starter or solenoid or something doesn't work) until she decides she wants to go again.

i just cleaned my carbs, gas tank, and petcock, also i put in brand new spark plugs. tomorrow i am going to get a new ignition coil and air filters so hopefully that makes a difference.

someone told me maybe my tank is getting too hot and causing vapor lock, they also said i might need to bypass the vacuum on the petcock and run off of the reserve, heck i even had some guy tell me to "sell it and buy beer."

i just wanna ride with confidence. any suggestions?

Sounds like coils to me or a bad wire connection to the coils or in the ignition circuit.
Not likley anyting to do with vacuum unless the vacuum petcodk is periodically closing. Try in prime positon if the problem goes away buy a manual petcock or I have a vacuum one that works for cheap.

okay so i'll check all the connections to and from the coil when i install my new one today and we'll see what happens.

Back