Stalling in 1st gear

rmclaughlin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1979 XS650 Special with Hugh's PMA, Rec/Reg, PAMCO aftermarket clutch handle, speedo, throttle, front brake master, mostly everything. I'm Building a Bratstyle, anyway...

My Issue: I just got everything back together after rebuilding the clutch and re wiring the bike etc. Bike starts up and idles perfectly in neutral. When I tried to ride her it stalled in first. It didn't just die because when I really got on the throttle it would go but it didn't seem right. So probably not the kickstand relay. It would also want to stall when I slowed down with the clutch pulled in all the way in 1st. Is it a fuel issue, timing, vacuum or maybe just a clutch adjustment? Im not sure. So close to actually riding her!!

Thanks
Rob

After I posted that popped in my head. It doesn't fully disengage when I pull the clutch in. Meaning it doesn't feel like it's totally in neutral. It also engages really quick.

I seem to be having exactly the same problem now. Did you solve it in the end? And if so, what was the issue?

Solved it. It was something stupid. I had my clutch lever situated around my accessory controls and the lever wasnt being pulled all the way.

Back