STARTER DELETE PROBLEMS... HELLLLLLP!

madjap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, coupla weeks ago I posted a question about deleting my starter. Got an answer, but that answer is NOT WORKING! Can someone break this down for me? I just spent 3 hours lying on the floor of my garage peering, sealing, unbolting, bolting, re-sealing, trying, changing and grinding my fugging TEETH IN MY FUGGING FACE HOLE! I pulled my starter off. I bought mikesxs starter hole plug (two piece aluminum deal with a bolt thru center). I pulled the starter gear cover. Pulled out the idler gear cluster (the two gears that are screwed together with 3 screws and have the shaft, spacer and spring washer). I put my mikes xs starter hole plug in and tightened it down. I put the idler gear cluster BACK IN with it's shaft, spacer and spring washer) and NOW the starter gear cover won't go back on. It lines up, but if I try to tighten it down it stops about an 1/8th inch from fitting / sealing. If I remove the idler gear cluster, POOF, the cover goes right on. I pulled the mikes xs plug and reversed it, no luck. I asked a member here if they had done this conversion and they said they HAD. Am I mis-understanding them? What the flaming FARK!???!

You're supposed to leave that little starter gear cluster and it's shaft out. It's probably not seating in the case fully now that your delete plug is installed. Here's a drawing. Leave out parts 15 - 22. On the other side, if you ever have that cover removed, you can remove parts 1 - 9 as well. Parts 10 - 14 must stay unless you split the crankcases open .....

StarterGears.jpg

You're supposed to leave that little starter gear cluster and it's shaft out. It's probably not seating in the case fully now that your delete plug is installed. Here's a drawing. Leave out parts 15 - 22. On the other side, if you ever have that cover removed, you can remove parts 1 - 9 as well. Parts 10 - 14 must stay unless you split the crankcases open .....

StarterGears.jpg
THANK YOU 5twins! Man, you just allowed my gums to stop bleeding and my blood pressure to drop about 112 points.... I REALLY appreciate your fast and helpful response! I owe you... randy

The kit has nothing to do with allowing removal of the starter. It's just a block-off plate to plug the hole the starter leaves behind. The starter could always be removed without splitting the cases apart. You just can't get every last little part of the gear train associated with it out unless you split the cases.

It should be noted if you are gonna go with the freeze plug method, which only cost around $1.50 for a 1 53/64" plug you will definitely have to split that case. You have to tap that plug in from the inside.

I was talking about the main engine crankcases, not that little starter gear housing by the countershaft sprocket. Yes, you need to open that up.

Thanks, 5twins.
I meant that this is not the freeze plug method and I can plug the hole without splitting the case.

How do you do it, littlebill? I'm in the boondocks with no garage for the next few weeks, but I converted to kick only right before I left my city and I'm itching to get rid of that hunk of metal starter.
I have the bike and hugh's starter delete kit with me, and tools. But I don't think the owner of this lovely cottage would appreciate me spilling oil all over her pretty grass. If you or anyone else has a method they're willing to detail for pulling off the starter without opening the case, I'd be VERY interested to hear it.

How do you do it, littlebill? I'm in the boondocks with no garage for the next few weeks, but I converted to kick only right before I left my city and I'm itching to get rid of that hunk of metal starter.
I have the bike and hugh's starter delete kit with me, and tools. But I don't think the owner of this lovely cottage would appreciate me spilling oil all over her pretty grass. If you or anyone else has a method they're willing to detail for pulling off the starter without opening the case, I'd be VERY interested to hear it.
You can pull the starter without opening the casing, but as far as I know you won't be able to get the block off in without opening the case. Assuming you can't find an oil pan, get creative. An old roasting pan maybe?

Just the cover marked starter gear case. IIRC everything inside can come out. lay bike over on RH side, then very little oil there. You may need a new gasket for it. And a bunch of cleaning should be done before you open it up.

Under LH cover.JPG

Some day way in the future when I have the privilege of asking that great Guru on the mountain some really important and mysterious questions, I will learn why one would want to remove the starter from his motorcycle. I may also learn why others remove the suspension from the rear of their motorcycles.

I would ask the Guru these questions even if I am only allowed two questions, forgoing the answer to which came first, the chicken or the egg and "what's it all about, Alfie".

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/burt+bacharach/alfie_20025979.html

Last edited:
Pete, I'm no guru, but I can answer one of your questions, referring only to my own motives and no one else's. Once upon a time I was younger and stronger, thought nothing of the effort required to boot start the XS650, and removed the starter motor and gears because it eliminated a whole lot of weight, and a lighter bike yields more responsive handling. Then came a crash, a damaged and weakened leg, and age. That was then, this is now, and my current ride has the electric boot in place. I have no idea why anyone would remove the rear suspension. I've made some guesses on that score, but every time I do somebody or other takes offense. It's hard to make the adjustment, but the hardtailers are sensitive souls, and we must learn to be politically correct and respect their feelings.

I don't wonder why people do what they do. My question is what did you use to get to that one bolt on the starter with the engine still in the frame...

Hi mickey,
although I'm on the "WhyTF you do that???" side of the discussion here's what I'd advise someone doing bike work on someone else's pretty grass.
Buy an 8' x 4' sheet of plywood and screw 2x2s around it to make a giant drip tray & parts catch-plate to put the bike on.

Back