static drum link for rear

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
For those of you that have hardtailed your 650s, what did you use to link the rear brake drum to the frame? I am going back and forth between a couple different options, but I want to make sure (since this is my only brake) that the linkage is stout and not going to bend or brake on me.

Thanks!

Pics would be way beneficial to me. I'm not that good a visualizer. :)

Sean

I'm not talking about the brake linkage here, but the piece that attaches to the outter portion of the drum to it doesn't spin when you apply the brakes. Whatcha got guys?

Sean

No pics but...

I used the stock rod, I cut about 2" outta mine. Found a metal rod that just slipped over it, used it as a coupler for strength & welded the shit outta it.

Cut a thick metal tab & welded it to the bottom of the frame. The brace is level w/ the ground when attached..

I positioned the bar so the flattened part lines right up w/ the tire to help clearance.

Not hard to figure out.

- if you have the tab on the drum pointing up the brace will be under compression
- if the tab points down the brace will be under tension...better, as the man with the gun pointing between your eyes stated

Back