Stator mount bolts

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any reason I can't replace this....
1671415970149.png

with this?
1671416036357.png

Clearance issue?

Maybe, the hex head may not fit down into the cut-outs in the alternator housing .....

EarlyAlt.jpg

AlternatorHousings.jpg

But, test it and see. You could drop any short M6 bolt in there just to check the fit. Maybe an Allen would be a better sub?

Just keep in mind, that black oxide finish will rust, so maybe paint the heads and anti-seize all the threads (the whole length).

Just one more little thing - your outside brush wire is wrapped around the wrong side of the bracket, it should go to the outside. The one in my pic is wrong as well, going over the top. I've since fixed it.

Just one more little thing - your outside brush wire is wrapped around the wrong side of the bracket, it should go to the outside. The one in my pic is wrong as well, going over the top. I've since fixed it.
Thank you! I need to keep that in mind. This was a quick temporary install.

I replaced mine with hex heads, plenty of room. Common item, just got them at a hardware store.

P.S. the hex head size is related to the bolt diameter, not the length, so the hex was just 10mm if I remember right. Plenty of anti-seize on the end and make sure the cover is really down all the way in the right place, since it's finicky. there's a notch involved i think

Last edited:
Back