stock air box or pod filters

Greg

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
is there any advantage to useing pod filters over the stock ones and if i use the pod filters will i have to rejet also with the pod filters if i use a reed valve on the case vent does it need a filter or any special mods

The case vents need filters or to be run down to the ground. If you don't ride the bike hard you can get a away with leaving them laying on top of your pods.

The gains can be throttle response, power, and ease of carb maintenance. Depending on the pods you will likely need to go up one or two jet sizes.

thanks the reed valve says that it allows air out but not in creating a slight vacume and added power and btw i am all for more throttle response and more power and im sure ill have the carb off a few times because i rebuilt them and they will need to be fine tuned ps was thinking about the mikes preformance pods seem to cheaper than replaceing the stock ones

I might suggest Uni-Filters The tapered pods don't seem to work as well as the straight Uni-filters.

i got mikes and they fit without any mods needing done to them . didnt have to rejet
just adjust air fuel mixture. iam running straight pipes cut off at foot pegs with a 18 in pipe add that i had bent into a 45:bike:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 582
hi guys ,,i,ve got a 1976xs650 with reco top end and open style exhaust,,, its got cv38s on it with a pair of mikesxs oval filters and i put a kit in then plus i went a tad oversize up 2 on pilots it usually runs sweet..... the origional HEAVY airbox that weighs a ton has sat in my shelf for 8 years . since i was playing and had a sspare box i drilled some holes in the side cover of the airbox to let it breathe .. and thats only if it ever went back on .. but i cann,t see that happening .. with the stock airbox out of the way its real easy to remove my carbys without dramas out the left side in 5-10 mins.. with nothing in ther way regads oldbiker

Just to give an opposing viewpoint..................keep using the stock airboxes. The crankcase breather line(s) works very well feeding into the airbox on my 78SE.

If you want to save weight, there are many better ways such as wheels, brake rotors, exhaust pipes,starter motors etc.

I use the stock air boxes on my 79 xs400 and they work great. That bike is original uncut.

The stock airboxes are designed to provide protection against taking in water in rain that pods don't provide. Few of us ride deliberately in rain, but most of us get caught in it, once in awhile.

My '82 came with the plastic molded side covers and airboxes, the latter with two holes in the rear to admit intake air. The internal ribbing restricts flow through the airbox. XSJohn's airbox mod's address this issue - cutting away a great deal of the internal ribbing and adding a third intake. I also trimmed the bottom and rear flanges of my side covers back about a half inch for better flow into the intake holes. I did these mod's soon after buying the bike early last year, did not ride it extensively beforehand, and made other mod's too (John's BS34 needles, 135 mains, ignition timing retard, etc.) and thus don't have a real "seat of the pants" feel for whatever improvement the airbox mod's themselves may have caused. I can say that I am very pleased with the end result - it starts easily, rev's freely and runs smooth and strong.

The stock airboxes are also designed to quiet the flow of air. I don't think they stink, I never smelled anything from them.

It really depends what you're doing with the bike, right? If you're cutting the bike up, stock boxes really aren't an option.

Back