STP as Chain Lube?

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)
I'm tempted to try it. It's some of the slipperyest stuff on the planet. I wouldn't put it in a wet clutch motor but I'm thinking of trying it on the drive chains. Any experience out there? I'm tired of cleaning the gummy spray can crap they sell in bike shops off my wheels, inner fender, license plate, etc.

roy

Have you ever tried this product? I’ve been using it for years. You spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe the drips off. It sets up and doesn’t fling off. I really like it.
947AFAB3-B1F4-439D-B40B-31FDFA531703.jpeg

Last edited:
I tried that stuff years ago on a standard chain and it sucked. The chain kinked all up in no time. It didn't penetrate and lube the rollers, just coated the outside. That may be fine for an o-ring chain but it was the kiss of death for my standard chain.

one thing that helps with the Chain Wax is to apply it "after" riding bike so chain is warmed up and allows it to flow in to the chain better.

I've always lubed my chains that way, never cold. That wasn't the issue. I still have what's left of that can on the shelf out in the garage, nearly 20 years later. I can't honestly think of anything to do with it or use it on.

And now for something completely different...

On road bikes, I start with a high grade, O Ring chain, like a DID ERV3. I clean it maybe 2-3x a season using bicycle chain cleaner and a toothbrush. I lube it with bicycle chain lube, and wipe it very dry.

The last 520 chain on my V twin race bike had thousands of miles on it, 10 years of use, and had zero "stretch". (Granted, racing isn't all that hard on chains, honestly).

How do you measure stretch? On a 520 or 530 chain, wedge something like a rag into the rear sprocket, and jam it so the chain is tight. Run a tape measure between 17 pins. Should measure 10" exactly. 1/8" over 10" is just over 1% stretch. Discard chain at 1/4" or 3/16". (I hate to use the term "Stretch". Chains don't really stretch. They wear. But the only topic I can think of more controversial than stretch vs wear is to tell people that their bikes counter steer!)

Everyone loves pictures, so here's a pic of me cleaning chains on our dirtbikes after we drove them to the Arctic Ocean:

29900274498_4274c3e6c9_c.jpg
IMG_3160 by michael delage, on Flickr

Have you ever tried this product? I’ve been using it for years. You spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe the drips off. It sets up and doesn’t fling off. I really like it.
View attachment 123257

Have always used that product on all my chain driven bikes and have never had an issue with fling. Needs to go on a warm chain and sit for at least 20 minutes. I still have my original chain and sprockets on my Vstrom with 30,000 km on it and has never kinked and still within spec on stretch. Sprokets still look new Same thing when I had my KLR.

Have always used that product on all my chain driven bikes and have never had an issue with fling. Needs to go on a warm chain and sit for at least 20 minutes. I still have my original chain and sprockets on my Vstrom with 30,000 km on it and has never kinked and still within spec on stretch. Sprokets still look new Same thing when I had my KLR.

I started using it years ago on a Triumph, now five bikes later I’m still using it. ( I also had a V Strom ) when you first spray it on , it’s actually very liquid and smells like solvent, then it sets up.

STP is so sticky and stays sticky. I bet it will pick up and hold every pice of dirt/dust/lint and everything else!

That was the battle cry in the aviation circles. When lubing piano-hinge ailerons, elevator, rudder, they recommended avoiding petro lubes, use silicone lubes only.

Just out of convenience (country setting out here), I've been using John Deere chain lube.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Chain-and-Cable-Lubricant-TY26350.html

It's some messy stuff.
I haven't needed to adjust my chain for years...

Last edited:
I've used this "Master" brand chain lube for a long time. Sees to be super effective. It seems to come from flea market suppliers, you see it in those kinds of places. I bought a bunch of cans for about $2.50 ea.
http://www.henrikusa.com/produkter/...r-chain-lube-284-gram-paa-spray-smoeremiddel/

For "experimental" chain lubes, I've wondered how blue marine grease dissolved in gasoline and sprayed on would do. The gas would evaporate and the chain would have a coating of waterproof grease.

Ha! Who would’ve thought about a tractor supply place. That looks like a very good product!
I’ve got a John Deere dealer about a mile from my house. I’ll bet that pump spray degreaser is a good product too. I might have to swing by there!
Thanks 2M!

Last edited:
I see that John Deere stuff has moly in it, just like my favorite chain lube (Kal-Gard Chain Kote). I may have to try some being that it's nearly half the price, lol.

I've used this "Master" brand chain lube for a long time. Sees to be super effective. It seems to come from flea market suppliers, you see it in those kinds of places. I bought a bunch of cans for about $2.50 ea.
http://www.henrikusa.com/produkter/...r-chain-lube-284-gram-paa-spray-smoeremiddel/

That website is in Danish.
Google translate reveals amazing features of that product, bottom of pic:
MasterChainLube.jpg

But do I have to paint my bike green if I use that stuff?

Yessir.
Otherwise, they'll send you across the county to the Mahindra dealer...

It removes misfortune and creak? Damn! I’m gonna buy some of that and spray it on my knees! :laugh2:
Could have used some of that yesterday after the tree I was cutting up decided to smack me in the left shin! Wife got a little worried and we had to make a run to Urgent Care. Nurse there did not think it was too bad but did ask if I preferred above or below knee amputation if that became necessary!

I opted for the sterile pad and gauze wrap!

It was the left leg so if I want to ride the old XS650 I can still kick start it!

Back