Stripped allen bolt on fork during oil seal change.

Moisstink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure I am not the only one to pull this insanity but while trying to remove the bottom allen bolt on the forks the #$^@$% bolt actually stripped out and will not budge. I am thinking I may have to weld the allen wrench to the bolt just to get it out. Has anyone ran into this problem? Any ideas? I do not have an impact wrench and I think this may have been the root of my problem. I did do the wd 40 sit and tap that bastard before starting. Since I never got the bolt out I am wondering if the bolt is somewhat standard / can I replace once I do get past this hurdle. Thanks for any and all information.

Thanks,
Kevin :wtf:fubar

Yeah, I know, no, the threads are not stripped just locked up. While trying to remove it I think the allen wrench would move to an angle and twist enough to damage. This happened a couple times while I was thinking I had a better method of leverage. Now it is pretty shot but not completely circular just fubar.

This should have come up the first time but this is where I am at with the bolt.

:wtf:

Attachments

• stripped bolt.jpg
    stripped bolt.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 267
Sometimes a rounded allen head can be closed up enough to grip with a little beating; put a big flat punch on it and smack it with a hammer. If you were using a ball head allen wrench, put it aside and use one that's straight cut. Call me a wuss, but when the above fails, I take a trip to a machine shop.

You could drill the head off with a drill bit sized to the diameter of the bolt or just a little bigger. There is a sealing washer under that bolt head and a machined surface for that washer to seal, need to leave enough of that surface flat to seal again.

Scott

I was working on other aspects of the bike before hand and decided to start a new before starting on the other fork leg. So I am hoping for better results on it. I am trying to lower the forks with a kit as well. So lets say I am able to get this bolt out. (I am thinking of welding the allen wrench to the bolt and go from there.) Are these a pretty standard bolt once I get it out that I can replace it with or is there more to the bolt that is specific to the fork?

BTW thanks Scott and grizld1 for the help. I am bummed that this is the one that is getting me. I have been working on this bike for a while now and have not had any issues until this really.

Last edited:
Here is where I am at now on the bike. 1/3rd the way done. Should I use a butane torche on the allen bolts to remove? I do not have a compressor or impact wrench.

Attachments

• current with new tank.jpg
    current with new tank.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
The bike is a 75. I believe the headers are stock. The mufflers are dunstalls that I cut around 6" off off and had to use shims to remount to the headers. When I bought it the last guy had bored out the engine to a 750, and a bunch of mods. The forks are newer as well.

Ok, so I went to try the other fork and nothing. I can't get that one to budge at all either. I am using the right sized allen wench T handle and WTF! Am I doing something wrong or more specific is there a method to this madness? I did go back to the first one and cleaned out the center of the bolt and I do have enough meat left to get a decent bite which may crack the bind but I wanted to see if I am missing something. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I currently have wd40 soaking in each. I did try a butane torch to heat it up and nothing with that. neither are rusted or have anything that points to a problem. Once again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

That bolt in the bottom is only half of what you need to deal with. There's another that you access down through the tube.
It's been a while since I fooled with my '83's forks, if they're the same, but I had to rig all my extensions and the proper bit to come down from above......holding that lower Allen head still and ratcheting from above.

ARE U USING THE 17MM adapter piece too hold the bolt head on the inner side?seems a silly question, just thought ide ask.
hugh has a good tutaladge on fork dismantle
search minton mods

Hi Moisstink,
I'd say you were under-equipped. (perhaps not in the bedroom but certainly in the garage)
You need an impact wrench to remove those fasteners.
A straight-on tool application, the impact wrench's percussive action and the fork innards inertia combine in the removal.
Your least cost option is to rent as powerful a 1/2" sq drive electric impact wrench as you can find.
Your best option is to dust the cobwebs off your billfold and buy a good air compressor and a high-powered air impact wrench.
Warning, air tool purchasing can become an addiction.

Hi Moisstink,
I'd say you were under-equipped. (perhaps not in the bedroom but certainly in the garage)
You need an impact wrench to remove those fasteners.
A straight-on tool application, the impact wrench's percussive action and the fork innards inertia combine in the removal.
Your least cost option is to rent as powerful a 1/2" sq drive electric impact wrench as you can find.
Your best option is to dust the cobwebs off your billfold and buy a good air compressor and a high-powered air impact wrench.
Warning, air tool purchasing can become an addiction.

Actually I did have an air compressor and a few tools to go with. That was stolen a few months ago due to using it on the back porch and some A Holes jumping the fence and cleaning me out. I am sure I can find a friend with that equip to loan me for some barley and hopps payment. Eventually I will re-envest. :thumbsup:

ARE U USING THE 17MM adapter piece too hold the bolt head on the inner side?seems a silly question, just thought ide ask.
hugh has a good tutaladge on fork dismantle
search minton mods

Actually, I did not even get that far. First thing was to break the lock the bolt has and move to the next step. I have been using a post on here for installing a fork lowering kit which I was aware I needed to fab up some tools but since this was the first step I was taking did not get to that. I will check the hugh info as well.

Thanks

Hi Kevin,
Sorry to read that some bastard stole your compressor.
Please accept my apology for supposing that you were just too cheap to buy one.

Back