Suggestions for Intake Silencers

XStretchified650

Back in the 650 Saddle
Reaction score
To all of you XS'ers using the stock air boxes...

What are you using in place of the 'intake silencers' in the air boxes? Mine looked like petrified sea sponges and turned to dust when I touched them. I don't want to run with the cans empty. I am sure that they serve a purpose and a big space in the cans is made to hold these pre-filters.

OEM parts don't appear to be available. This is an XS! I can't just stuff old socks in there!

See part #24 in the diagram. Like I said....what are you using?

Attachments

• Intake Silencers.pdf
    119 KB · Views: 55
It appears that silencers were used in 74 to 77 years. My bike is a 78 and does not have that device. On my bike the air just comes into the airbox and then through the air filter.

The silencers can't be of much importance, since Yamaha dropped their use in 78. Some of the lads with 74 to 77 years will probably jump in here with words of wisdom.

Thanks retiredgentleman....

Interesting to learn that Yamaha only used these secondary filters for a few years. I'd still like to learn what replacement material others are using to take advantage of the two-stage filter setup.

I don't believe they act as filters just silencers, they had holes drilled through them that allowed free (restricted) passage of air. A few I have seen had enough substance left to be able to tell how they used to look, function.

they are just for quieting down the intake noise I used 2 nylon pot scrubbers each side on my 74, here's a bad pic

Attachments

• Sep28$12.JPG
    Sep28$12.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
they are just for quieting down the intake noise I used 2 nylon pot scrubbers each side on my 74, here's a bad pic
Thanks for the info everyone. I see what you mean about these being for silencing and not filtering. I'll come up with something simple.

Jayel, I agree...that is a bad picture. (but you do get two style points for color coordinating your pot scrubbers to your bike). And now you got to show them off a bit too!.

Back