81 XS650H bogging on long rides

maraakate

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am working on an 81 XS650H for a friend. For a bit of backstory, it originally had pod filters and bad float needles. So, we found the original airbox, looks to be in good shape and new OEM filters and new OEM float needle assemblies (the entire assembly including the o-ring, not just the needle). Installed all of this, reset the float height according to the book and then checked again with the clear tube method. The bike also had some electrical issues, particularly for the charging circuit. On closer inspection the connector for the regulator (pretty sure it was for the regulator, but I don't recall off-hand) was corroded. Installed new connectors and the charging circuit works properly. Installed a new battery since it had a beat AGM in it. New battery is standard fill-type. Valves, cam chain tension, and carb sync has been done. I verified the timing at one point with a timing light and seems in spec. Clutch, rear brake, and drive chain were also adjusted. I also installed new OEM float bowl gaskets, new OEM carb sync rubber stoppers (unsure the proper term) and new OEM clamps for that. There are no air leaks. Verified from top to bottom with PB blaster at the intake, the linkages and airbox boots. The bike had some half-assed soldering and some crappy harbor freight style fusebox (with wrong fuse values!) that I converted to use the nice waterproof Littlefuse micro-fuse holders.

Anyways, the bike runs pretty good for the most part. The only 'gotcha' that I need to revisit is that the right side is a bit lean on idle with some occasional backfires which is probably from a slightly plugged pilot jet. I have not removed the pilot jet yet to verify this. However, I did put new OEM slow jet plugs (forget the actual term for this part). The bike has proper power, pulls good through all the ranges and throttle positions. But, my friend has taken it on some longer 1hr-2hr rides and noticed that sometimes while cruising it appears the bike loses half of it's power and bogs; almost as if it is running on one cylinder but it's hard for him to explain it to me. I drove the bike for an hour the other day and it was running just fine for me. I had him check and notice if it was when he was going up-hill/down-hill (indicating some sort of float height issue) and he said it doesn't matter the incline and that it's happened on flats as well. I told him to try and pull over when it happens and feel the amount of air pressure coming out of the exhaust; but he's unable to do so because usually when he downshifts then upshifts again the problem goes away. When he went to stop he said when applied the front brake the problem went away. I tried cleaning the terminals on the coil and cleaning up the grounds for the coil, but this hasn't changed the issue.

My guess is that the coil may have some internal resistance and the value is changing when it gets good and hot on a long ride. Or the TCI box may be intermittently bad (possibly a component drifting out of spec when exposed to enough temp) or an intermittent connection from the TCI box.

I haven't measured the coils or done a compression check yet, but will do so over the next few days. I will recheck the valve spacing as maybe it has drifted, but we haven't put much miles on it yet so I doubt it is that. Maybe about 300 miles total since it has been ran.

I am out of ideas at this point and do not want to blindly throw parts at it or switch it over to a Pamco Ignition system unless absolutely necessary. Curious on what everyone's thoughts here are. Maybe there is some known issues with the ignition system that are common to this bike that I am unaware of. I normally work on Honda CB/CM stuff so I am unfamiliar with the particular quirks of these bikes.

Make sure the ground for the TCI box and the coil are clean and shiny. The only way I know to check the TCI igniter is swapping out for another TCI box or install a Gonzo box The problem sounds similar to a recent post here. Swaping another TCI box in fixed the problem.

Make sure the ground for the TCI box and the coil are clean and shiny. The only way I know to check the TCI igniter is swapping out for another TCI box or install a Gonzo box The problem sounds similar to a recent post here. Swaping another TCI box in fixed the problem.

I'll check the grounds and connector in the TCI area. What is a gonzo box? And I'm assuming this is just like any other old bike where nobody makes a good, reliable aftermarket TCI/CDI/etc.?

http://www.xs650.com/threads/gonzo-diy-tci-system.57694/

The development thread has a recent link to wally world selling it for $12

I saw that. There's a warning about having to drill, grind, etc. which I really do not want to do. However, I guess that applies to the points to TCI conversion? This is just TCI so it looks like, at the brief glance of this thread, you have to make a 6-pin harness to basically change the pinouts to the right places and then adjust the timing plate? If it's something like that where it's easily undoable then I'd be interested in giving it a try.

I thought the timing plate was not adjustable or am I wrong? I don't remember when I looked at it, but I was pretty sure they're set and non-adjustable.

the Gonzo produces about 5 degrees less total advance with the TCI pickup in the stock position. Personally I think it is a good thing because the stock timing curve was predicated on gasoline that is no longer available. Most people doing the swap have not noticed any difference between the Toshiba box and the Gonzo. Cheap enough to see if it eliminates the intermittent. problem .

Hi
Ground must be solid good cleaned and I put some copper grease on it
Perhaps a separate wire all the way to battery minus .

However in this case I believe the fault lies there

On closer inspection the connector for the regulator (pretty sure it was for the regulator, but I don't recall off-hand) was corroded

I believe that on these longer runs heat and longtime charging cause the regulator to overcharge ( out on limb assuming the old mechanical one )
and or causing voltage spikes . That upsets the TCI
Since you are experienced ..one way forward could be installing a voltmeter across the battery see what it reads.On these runs
Most likely a substitute regulator rectifier ---is needed rather soon

Solid state rectifier on that model and pretty reliable. TCI box is pretty tolerant of over voltage spikes because it filters the incoming power. On the other hand it won't tolerate low voltage very well but that generally results in no spark.

The TCI box grounds through the black wire which terminates near the battery.

Intermittent problems suck.

There are 3 components in the TCI system
1) The Igniter box
2) the pickup coil and magnet
3) the hi tension coil that produces the spark.

Intermittent shorts in the pickup coil or the hi tension coil could be the culprit but the box itself seems to be the cause of the problem.

The Toshiba igniter is a analog device that depends on resistors and capacitors for the timing function and 40 year old capacitors can be pretty sketchy and the diodes on the power input seem to be failing quite often according to people who have gone in and done board level repairs.

OK. I'll start off with verifying the charging circuit voltages at idle and 3000rpm. Last time I checked it was within spec. I know it's not undervoltage because the battery has been holding a charge (it didn't before when the connector was broken obviously). And then clean up the TCI ground and connector.

If it's still giving me problems I'll give that 250 TCI box a try. Just to reiterate: on the 1981 year with TCI I just need to get a 6-pin female and male connectors and wire it up? I don't have to trim cables from other places, etc.?

Just make a pigtail with this pinout.

Pigtail Wiring V2.png

Been googling ..and as Mr Team Junk states your bike has not the mechanical regulator , rectifier
that was causing the problem of overcharging on my bike.
mine is 1980 and it had it
Shutting down one side on Boyer ...
This Might be in a better Position
Dont forget the ground on the coil
If that wont work
I would most likely connect positive from battery to ignition parts Outside harness.
And ground from battery Outside harness. for testing
If so careful

In your case via a switch since it cannot be left on.

The ground on the coil is good. I cleaned it up pretty nice with some red scotch brite and the ring terminal as well as the screws. Then I put it back together with some dielectric grease. I didn't use copper, but might be good to use in the future. I also cleaned the pigtail coming off the coil.

That's interesting they changed it from mechanical to solid state in 1980-1981 years. I actually prefer the mechanical ones. I like that you can open them, clean them, and then reset them; just like points. They seem to last a long time if you take care of them.

Update to this: bike started getting to a point where it dies after 5-10 minutes after it warms up and won't start again until after it cools down. So, we ordered the parts and are gonna try the TCI box. I don't typically shotgun parts, but these TCI boxes are ticking time bombs anyways, so it won't hurt to upgrade it.

If the bike dies when it gets hot, that's often an indication the coil has gone bad.

Yeah, I kind of figured that would be part of the "fun" is having to replace the coil as well. Are they known to go bad? I've actually never had a coil on a bike go bad on me, but there's a first time for everything.

I saw mention the Honda MP08's are plentiful, but need to look up threads to see if it's an easy bolt-on replacement. It looks like most of the aftermarket stuff out there is junk and doesn't last very long.

Well, while it's not an every day occurrence, these bikes are so old now that coils are going bad.

The Honda MP08 is a good choice and is pretty much a bolt-on. You just have to make some adapter brackets because it's physically smaller than the original. Here's a thread on how I mounted mine .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/honda-mp08-coil.55408/

Yeah, I was just reading your thread a little bit ago. I'm gonna order one up and see how it performs. I do like that it has replaceable plug wires. The stock coil doesn't appear to have this. Hell, I mostly work on 70s Honda stuff and most of that is non-removable plugs too!

Back