Swapping different year swingarm and wheels

thefiish

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi, first post and new to xs650s.

I have an opportunity to buy a 1977 xs650 that's in need of a good cleanup and restoration. My plan would be to eventually turn it into a cafe project.

Right now it has a hub rear brake on it that I would want to swap for a disk setup. I see a disk swing arm and wheel on eBay off of a '78 XS and am trying to figure out if it would be a direct swap? If not does someone have a better idea/suggestion?

Thanks ahead of time,

CM

Yes, the parts will swap right in but be aware that you will be getting a 16" rear wheel then. In my opinion, I think a cafe looks better with the larger 18" wheel. You will also need the splined pivot shaft for the rear brake pedal. The bracket on the back is totally different between the drum and disc versions. And finally, you'd need to weld mounts to your frame for the MC.

That was going to be my next question, what kind of mounts were on the frame already to mount a pair of rear-sets. As long as there's somthing back there I can design an adaptor plate that I could mount the pegs to and possibly even the master cylinder.

Guess I need to do a little more picture google-ing.

Back