swapping handlebars on my 650 special

spitfire

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
took my bike for its first proper ride yesterday now all the issues were sorted and really loved it.:D

However the only thing i dont like is the handlebars which are the standard 650 special ones. i find i have to pull my hands and wrists in quite a lot and it feels quite uncomfortable. i think the pull back is too much (is it about 13 ?) and would like the handlebars to be where the brake and clutch lever are which is maybe 3 inches less. just wonder what is the best way of changing things. can the bars be bent back out, maybe after applying heat from a blow torch or should i just get a new set of bars. if so, does anyone know which bars would meet my requirements.
thanks

I would say swap. If you heated( which I wouldn't do) you are going to need the wires out anyway.

Posted via Mobile

There are hundreds of various handlebar shapes availble usually quite inexepensive. DEnniskirk is a good source as wel as MikesXS. I prefer Renthal superbike high bars thick walled aluminum. They absorb a lot of the vibration.

I put Daytona Touring bars from Mikes XS on mine. I also switched out the throttle and clutch cables for standard ones at the same time.

DSCI2017.jpg

I was thinking the same thing about my bars
I didnt mind them before but for some reason I dont care for them this year
glad to see some ideas in this post

First thling I did with my '81 Special was ditch the buckhorn bars -- like the day after I bought it. Couldn't stand 'em. Found a set of bars for a an old Triumph Bonnie at a local MC shop. They're pretty wide -- maybe like the Daytonas? -- but very comfortable.

For my '78, I bought a set of Euro bars from MikesXS. Also bought the same to install on my old Beemer R90/6. Very comfortable on that old bike.

Yes, they can be bent to a better position. Remove the grips and controls, get a long piece of pipe that slips over the bars. Have a stout friend help. now bend the bars to where you want them. Go slow watching for kinking.
If this works your good to go. If not and the bars kink or bend wrong. Your no worse than before.
Get new bars.

I don't understand much about physics did I do know that they call them laws for a reason. From a strengh point of view I'd get new bars, bending metal rarely makes it stronger.

Back