Tach oil seal install help

RPC3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just need some guidance. I've got the tach unit apart and am trying to install the new seal. When taking apart the unit, the threaded sleeve fit all the way into the piece it threads into (part with the oring), but now I can only get it together with a full thread turn to go. Either I haven't set my seal deep enough, it's okay to leave as is, or...? Little guidance please, perhaps I wasn't being firm enough pushing the seal in (I did try to set it with a socket, but maybe I didn't hit it hard enough). I did lube it in some oil first, and I have the open side facing down towards the engine/oil and the letters facing out.

Thanks

Attachments

• 14306834449451716345220.jpg
    14306834449451716345220.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 55
Ah I'm a dumbass. I did hit the seal too hard with the socket so the little metal lip the seal sits in slightly punctured the seal. I'll order a few new ones tonight. In the mean time, I'll still take advice on how to not screw up the next seal attempt. Thanks.

For anyone keeping score at home, there is no metal lip to push the seal over. Unless you leave half the old seal still in... So for anyone with this issue in the future, remove the *whole* old seal, new one makes a lot more sense after that.

For anyone keeping score at home, there is no metal lip to push the seal over. Unless you leave half the old seal still in... So for anyone with this issue in the future, remove the *whole* old seal, new one makes a lot more sense after that.

Just went thru this. Took me a bit to figure out part of the old seal was still in there. After that it was all good. No leaks on the shakedown ride.

Back