The machine is the master..

I like the guy's philosophy. Straightforward, and should keep you from getting bogged down in modville. But I do disagree with what he says about electric bikes. You can be sure they speak too, just in a language that's foreign to him :)

The gentleman sure knows of what he speaks. The world of transportation is changing rapidly, and many of us will be saddened by the passing of internal combustion engines.

I suspect any electric vehicle will talk to us by way of the batteries............how much power can they supply and how long will they last.

Electricity, fuel combustion, framing a house, and writing code for the internet all have their own languages. If you don't get it right, not unlike the internal combustion engine, the machine doesn't function properly and in some cases can be catastrophic. Look around at the power grid, the city water systems, a damn 30+ story building. They're all built by the hands, literally, of people communicating with a "machine." (edit* I say "machine" referring to a system, not the tools or machinery used to build said systems)

"Shop Class as Soulcraft" by Matthew Crawford is an inspiring read for anyone interested in mechanics, wrenching, and morals.

Some of the ideas in his book are exactly what Big Sid talks about in the video. However, I think most any honorable electrician (or any tradesman, really anyone) would disagree with Sid's comments about there not being any room or need for communicating with the electric bike machine. It's a fallacy.

The internal combustion engine is incredible and so is electricity.

Apples to Oranges.

Last edited:
Back