The times they are a changing

hamamatsu

Retired loafer
Reaction score
Two days ago, I answered the front door bell to find a young man standing on my front porch in need of a pair of jumper cables. He said he just moved into the rental property two doors down. My very first thought was to run to the garage and get him the cables and offer to help get his car started. That's what I would have done 15 or 20 years ago, but two days ago, I told him that I had no jumper cables and couldn't help.

With all of the media attention to home invasion and burglary, it makes me more cautious about who I allow in my home or in my garage. At this point, I feel bad for the guy, and I'm sorry I didn't help him because I have been in his shoes a time or two. I saw him and his wife getting into their car this morning and I'm feeling a little guilty for not helping. But like I said the times are changing, it's not 1980 anymore.

Maybe I'll walk down to his house and introduce myself, the next time he needs help, he won't be a stranger.

I have only lived in a neighborhood for 3 years. The rest of my life was on a farm or in the barracks. So having people always around my "property" freaks me out sometimes. Even after 3 years I still look out the window when I hear something and especially with my shed having bikes in it.
When I first moved here I , of course, didn't know all my neighbors. I live in a neighborhood that is mainly retired folks as well and it's usually quiet. A guy came and knocked on the door asking to use the phone one day. He said he lived several houses down and was locked out. I, at the time, honestly didn't have one. My cell phone was broken and I didn't, still don't, have a land line. He was acting kinda funny though (of course I think this of everyone). He kind of stood there when I said I had no phone, then left. I watched him walk down the street and around the curve, out of sight. I didn't have a shirt on when I answered the door. I'm not a big guy, pretty stocky, but I had just gotten out of the Marines and am covered in tattoos. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but I found out that this guy didn't live down the street, or in the neighborhood for that matter, and never saw him again.
The area I live in is plagued with people robbing others for pain pills. It's gotten quite bad actually. A couple in my neighborhood was murdered about 2 years ago for their prescription pills. Both stabbed. Every week in the paper it's the same thing. Prescription pills. Home invasions are common around here. It's sad.
So I wonder, if I had been an elderly person who answered the door when that guy knocked, would it have played out differently? I'm thinking yes.

So having people always around my "property" freaks me out sometimes. Even after 3 years I still look out the window when I hear something and especially with my shed having bikes in it.

I laughed when I read this cause I do the same thing and it drives my girlfriend nuts. There are just too many crazy fucking people out there to not pay attention to your surroundings even when you're relaxing at home. Sad world we live in but it's the truth. Unannounced visiters knocking on the door are a thing of the past. I ALWAYS answer my door with the screen locked and a handgun visible on my hip. I get the craziest looks from solicitors(which I get too many of, time for a sign....)

hi guys .... last night on win tv news,,, at 6.30 pm it came up that a 42 year old mani in moe,, got a knock on his front door,,,, he opened that door and a 45 year old man from morwell killed him with a hammer...and having lived a my house in beattie cresent morwell for 3 1/2 years ,, the street had the worst reputation in morwell there was always break ins car stealing bashings and 1 young man was gunned down by his brother for selling all his drugs .. i am sort of glad i did buy somewhere else alot more quite regards oldbiker

Some of you guys need to get out and meet your neighbors more, so to speak. Since you don't do that, you have an informational void which is filled with things from TV.

Most of the real crimes are inside jobs where a weak target has been picked. The rest are protected ultimately by the fact that there might be a gun inside and somebody who can use it.

The more I learn about my environment, the less fearful I am. You really might live in a bad place though, but you know it for sure. In KY, people thought somebody in TX would kill me. In TX people think if they go to Mexico somebody there will kill them :)

Last edited:
I read in the paper every morning about another home invasion. I dont go to the door armed, tho I probably should. My street is busy with motor traffic. Not so much foot traffic. Still I worry about my wife when she is home alone. She is not as cautious as I am. I sometimes worry about some one breaking in and stealing my guns and valuables too. Only valuable to me , probably less to others. What really grabs me is the light punishment given to people that hurt others for little to no profit. Below is a link to a story I found about my sons Scout leader from years ago. Shows how you never really know people. I respected this guy.

http://www.wcyb.com/news/30396821/detail.html

http://www.wcyb.com/watercooler/news/30353087/detail.html

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies217.htm

hamamatsu,
I share your misery. Helping others helps us feel good. But.........

Personally I'd rather run the risk than live in a world were no one makes eye contact, helps a fellow human in need, and cower behind locked doors.

As for the initial post, I would have helped the guy out. But I am cautious and don't let strangers into my house. I help out stranded motorists too, even given people rides walking down the street with a gas can in hand. I believe that what goes around comes around, and I know I have been blessed with the generosity of strangers.

As for my wife and teenage daughter being alone. Having a German Shepherd in the house doesn't hurt. Even though the poor girl is 13 years old and is about as fierce as a kitten.

I live in a fairly quiet neighborhood on a culdesac so we have comparitively little traffic but we have a couple houses that bring in quite a bit of "visitors". When we first moved into our house it was about as safe as you could get, we didn't need to lock the doors, all the neighbors knew each other, and we all watched each others houses and property for any suspitious activity. That was in 2006 shortly after Hurricane Katrina, since then we have had several people move out and new people move in mostly in 2 houses (high turn over rate and lots of police visits). The neighbors that haven't changed still watch each others property but I have to admit that I have since started locking everything up and have gotten some extra added protection - .380 pistol for my wife, 9mm pistol for myself, a pit bull/bullmastiff mix, an american bulldog mix, an 8' privacy fence for the back yard and hand gun training for all the kids. Lets just say I want to make sure that we can protect ourselves in most circumstances and if we can't hopefully the dogs will.

I try not to be too unhelpful to people. But I've gotten very leary. It's hard when you see guys creeping around your neighborhood, going slow, looking at peoples car ports, then when they see you they speed up. Or walking down the road with a hood up and cutting behind homes as people drive by. We've had 15 home invasions in 2 months in one neighborhood. The ones they caught were all under 25 and all looking for prescription pills. 7 car break-ins in one neighborhood 2 weeks ago, all in one night. Now these are trailer parks, but upscale, if that makes sense. More like manufactured homes. Nice places by the water. Friendly, mostly vacation homes. But a little way down the road are 2 not so nice parks. Most are even gated and patroled and people still steal all kinds of stuff. Mine is.
The house next door to me is for sale and empty. It's 20 feet away. It had all the copper ripped out and the a/c unit stolen while I was at work. The lady across the street has had her golf cart stolen twice. House down the street had the copper stolen too. They just caught a local painter stealing some major stuff from homes while he was working there.
I try to help people, but my trust is very limited.

Back