timing

atomic22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I'm seriously frustrated. I have a PMA and pamco ignition. My bike is running like crap. I'm super lost as to what to check. I think I have a timing issue. I've got backfire when I accelerate and when I kill the engine I get a loud backfire. Acceleration sucks, idling is fine. The higher the gear the worst it gets. Stumble around 2500-3000 rpm, at 3000+ it sticks at that rpm.
So my question is can I set the timing without a timing light?
BTW-everything else is stock.
Thanks
A22

Check your advance mechanism to make sure it is working, plenty of posts about this. Pretty hard to set the timing properly without a light. They are not that expensive for a basic one. Where are you in Wisconsin?

Thanks Grinder. I'm pretty sure my advance mechanism is working fine. I did the snap tests and all.

I'll get a timing light. I'm really not sure at all how to use one.

BTW-I'm just east of Madison. You?

I'm not that familiar with a PMA set-up but I assume it replaces the stock stator and rotor? What about timing marks? Have you made new ones for TDC, retarded, and advanced timing? Without marks, you'll have nothing to shine the timing light on.

Yes the PMA replaces the stock stator and rotor.
I'm not sure how to make the timing marks, but I understand what you are saying that without them I'll have nothing to aim at.
I know there was something that came with the Briggs plate, but I can't find it at the moment. Does anyone have a link to his instructions?

No timing marks on that set-up? That makes it kind of difficult to set. Sorry, can't help.

South of Fond Du Lac

atomic22,

Well, I do recommend that you use a timing light with the PAMCO, but if you set the timing like this picture, you will be very much in the ball park and the symptoms you are experiencing will not be ignition related. However, I recommend that you use 93 Octane gas if you have not checked the timing with a timing light, just to be on the safe side.

pcboard11.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll get a light ASAP.
Pete if it's not ignition related, what are other possibilities I should look at?
Also, the bike seems to not pop when it's on the center stand in neutral, but on the road in second gear...popitie pop pop.

Last edited:
Back