Tired of my back fender

jussumguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0417.JPG
When I first built this bike I used a painted DT1 rear fender but it was rough and weathered so a couple years ago I put this cb450 fender on. I think it makes my bike look fat so it's time to put it on the shelf and start over again.

IMG_0414.JPG
A while back I found these three rear fenders at the swap meet. They were cleverly disguised as an RV spare tire cover. They just needed to be cut out.

IMG_0421.JPG
So I took the shocks off and dropped it down on the tire. It seems to work and I don't think the shocks will let it get this far anyway. So I guess I'll fab some tabs and mount it right where it sits.

That's enough for tonight. I'll try to do more before the weekend. Thanks for tuning in!

IMG_0426.JPG
Hopefully they're small enough they don't attract attention. I welded them on the back hoop of the frame. When I got this frame it had been endowed down the front straight at Lodi California. There's a popular dirt track there. That section of the frame was bent so bad it had been cut off so I made a replacement piece. It's not the prettiest but does the job.

I see pictures of scissors and pencils and loose bolts and horrific alignment and an xs650 that once was.

I'm tired of my side covers. I like what you did with yours and am inspired to give it a go.

I like that fender - what a wonderful discovery Jussum! You’re ready for the dirt!

I wonder if those trailer folks knew they were sitting on a gold mine of cool bike parts! Don’t be put off by critisicism - it’s a work in progress!

Pete

IMG_0432.JPG
The mounting bolts hit the tire if you land it hard. And believe me you always land hard. I turned them around so the nuts are on the outside and it's a little better. I think I'll go to the hardware store and get some button head Allen bolts. Maybe set the preload on the shocks a little stiffer
Thanks Pete!

If those are the stock shocks, I’ll bet your damping died and has gone to crappy shock heaven many years ago. If not...we’ll, maybe that bike just isn’t intended for too much jumping and too many whoops.

She sure looks cool though!

Cheers,

Pete

Back