Another one complete

cra-z1

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished a refresh on my friends 1968 DT1. Kinda went over the whole bike Tore the engine down split the cases, honed with new rings rebuilt the carbs, rebuilt and replaced the three coils (ignition, electrics). New points, new gaskets, new seals, powder coated the frame, painted the engine covers, had the fenders and tank painted, straightened the tail light out, new wire harness, new cables, new seatpan/foam/cover, on and on. It has the original tires, wheels, spokes, chain and sprockets. Only has a bit over 3,000 miles. It was his mothers bike from new. Im finished with his 73 Z1 but have a weird vibration I need to figure out. So thats set aside for now and working on his 1963 GoldStar
dt1 1.jpeg

dt1 2.jpeg

DT1.jpeg

Wow! That’s a beauty! First year isn’t it? Those are bringing big bucks these days. I learned to ride on a DT250. 😃 And original tires? I take it , he doesn’t plan on riding it? Maybe a show bike?

So thats set aside for now and working on his 1963 GoldStar

A super desirable British bike! That’s something different for you. I’d love to see some photos of that job. 😉

Yes I told him to keep the tires as they were not even cracked on the sidewalls. You can still see the holes were his father put in screws for riding on the ice. The bike will be sold but we have put a few careful miles on it. Im heading out on another trip out East on the FJR Monday so things are on hold till I get back.
I don't like working on the British bikes but completed one of his Nortons a while back. The Gold Star is another story I will tell and show when I get back. It has a ABSAF 600cc engine with BTH MagDyno, also has a Pearson GS550 clutch conversion and electric start. He had a mishap with the clutch and now we need to repair. If you watched BAT in the last few weeks the bike was sold but the clutch problem happened just before the new owner picked it up. Lots of custom stuff on it. So hopefully we can save the sale. He has a 1963 Matchless that will be in the shop next season to get running for sale.

Droooool...

That's the bike that set me down the path of a lifetime of Yamahas. First saw one in 1971 while stationed in the Philippines. At the time I was riding a CL72 Honda and that little Yammy seemed so light and maneuverable in comparison. When I got orders to Japan, my very first thought was "There's a DT1 with my name on it!"

Arrived in Misawa, immediately asked about the nearest Yamaha dealer and got some strange looks (It was January...). Everybody recommended a little hole-in-the-wall place owned by a civilian employee on the base. Sold bikes on the side out of his house. Went to see Sasaki-san and he showed me an RT-360. The rest, as they say, is history...

Back