Tires, ride or replace?

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I'm sure I already know the answer but I'll ask anyway. I've had the bike in the shop for the past twelve years and am finally ready to get it out. The tires were brand new when I bought the pile of bike but they have been sitting a long time. The details on the tires are below. The tires look great and are not showing any cracks or wear. BTW what can I expect for the cost of new tires and mounting, just ballpark?

TWI CHENG SHIN
FRONT
6366 8407
3.25 x 19

REAR
12062 6626
5.10 x 16

you can get a set of decent ones from motorcyclesuperstore for not much over 100. In ontario, i paid 65 to get for a dismount, mount, and balance on wheels off the bike. shops will charge an hour labour to get the wheels off.

I learned on "The Worlds Fastest Indian" those tires should be ok to 200 mph or so if you rub black shoepolish on the sidewalls and cut off the tread.

On a more serious note, your bike only touches the road on two little patches of rubber. The next things to touch are your knee, shoulder, etc. If you have any doubt, replace 'em. Life is too short to fall down if you don't have to.

OK to sort the bike out, speed runs, knee scraping, or long trips not so much I think.

Life is too short to fall down if you don't have to.

Now, see here, good sir. I'll have you know I spent most of college and grad school falling down when I probably didn't have to. :p But it sure felt like I needed to fall down at the time. :p

To the OP, though... get new tires, friend. Way cheaper than the potential for crankiness that could occur otherwise.

TC

yeah, i second everyone else. so i guess, fourth, everyone. you might as well get new ones... or, you could call a tire manufacturer and see if they have some sort fo shelf life.

Now I'll need to search the forum and look for the tires I want. I live in cold Alberta and am just looking for a good all round touring tire.

Now, see here, good sir. I'll have you know I spent most of college and grad school falling down when I probably didn't have to. :p But it sure felt like I needed to fall down at the time. :p

To the OP, though... get new tires, friend. Way cheaper than the potential for crankiness that could occur otherwise.

TC

That's a different kind of falling down and is perfectly acceptible regardless of what my wife might think. As the old Irish saying goes= You are not drunk so long as you can cling to a single blade of grass and avoid falling off the face of the earth.

Back