Sold / Found / Inactive - Titled or Non-Titled Frames in CA to Fuel My Addiction

Would you consider a no title frame? I may be letting one go soon
I would but only for the right price. I've got one more no-title 80 frame here I got in a parts lot that I'm thinking of getting titled but I'm mostly interested in another titled frame that will keep me from having to jump through all of the DMV and CHP hoops

Good news bump! Took my 69 XS1 chop up to CHP and got a firm handshake of approval. After an hour wait at the DMV and maybe 2mins of shootin the shit with the clerk, I walked out with a shiny new plate and the title will be in the mail! 2 builds down, three to go!

20231004_174417.jpg
20230928_171245.jpg

Good news bump! Took my 69 XS1 chop up to CHP and got a firm handshake of approval. After an hour wait at the DMV and maybe 2mins of shootin the shit with the clerk, I walked out with a shiny new plate and the title will be in the mail! 2 builds down, three to go!

View attachment 252618View attachment 252617
Im gonna DM you man! I have acouple to do in LA I need some tips lol

Nice!!

I know the dmv hoops all too well.

I’m not sure if they will let you, but if you get sent to CHP again, and you don’t mind a little drive time, head north. I can get same day appointments at CHP for vin checks up here, where as when I lived in OC it was 2-3 month wait times.

Also, a AAA membership (don’t have to have their insurance) will save you hours of wait time from the dmv. They still may send you to CHP but they actually want to help you get it done.

And if it’s a bike newer than 71 make sure it has an emissions/vin I’d tag, get a reproduction one if you lost your and tack it on the frame neck if you don’t want it there permanently, it will save you a lot of possible hoops to jump through.

Nice!!

I know the dmv hoops all too well.

I’m not sure if they will let you, but if you get sent to CHP again, and you don’t mind a little drive time, head north. I can get same day appointments at CHP for vin checks up here, where as when I lived in OC it was 2-3 month wait times.

Also, a AAA membership (don’t have to have their insurance) will save you hours of wait time from the dmv. They still may send you to CHP but they actually want to help you get it done.
And if it’s a bike newer than 71 make sure it has an emissions/vin I’d tag, get a reproduction one if you lost your and tack it on the frame neck if you don’t want it there permanently, it will save you a lot of possible hoops to jump through.
Good idea! I'm a AAA member but I've actually never tried going in. I've always heard that they can't do certain stuff like issuing plates or new titles but I'm definitely gonna give it a shot here when I finish the next one. Luckily the CHP officer was hella chill, yesterday he told me he's down to keep helping me resurrect more so I'm feelin like I'm back into non-titled frame builds!

Do you know a good place to get a repo-tag? I found a guy on an online forum a while back who used to make em but he didn't have a pic of my year tag. The one on this frame is all wiped off so I couldn't send him a pic either

Good idea! I'm a AAA member but I've actually never tried going in. I've always heard that they can't do certain stuff like issuing plates or new titles but I'm definitely gonna give it a shot here when I finish the next one. Luckily the CHP officer was hella chill, yesterday he told me he's down to keep helping me resurrect more so I'm feelin like I'm back into non-titled frame builds!

Do you know a good place to get a repo-tag? I found a guy on an online forum a while back who used to make em but he didn't have a pic of my year tag. The one on this frame is all wiped off so I couldn't send him a pic either

AAA will issue plates on the spot, and do all vin checks UNLESS you don’t have a title.

If you don’t have a title, they will send you to chp for the vin check but they will still process all your paperwork and once checked at chp, they will finish the paperwork and issue plates.

As for a vin tag I got perfect ones for my cb750 from https://www.khneisser.ch/

The site is kinda hard to navigate but you can email him. He’s quick to respond. He makes them for a lot of bikes. I’m sure you can send a pic of any xs tag with your vin numbers and he can make it (if he doesn’t already have them on file)

AAA will issue plates on the spot, and do all vin checks UNLESS you don’t have a title.

If you don’t have a title, they will send you to chp for the vin check but they will still process all your paperwork and once checked at chp, they will finish the paperwork and issue plates.

As for a vin tag I got perfect ones for my cb750 from https://www.khneisser.ch/

The site is kinda hard to navigate but you can email him. He’s quick to respond. He makes them for a lot of bikes. I’m sure you can send a pic of any xs tag with your vin numbers and he can make it (if he doesn’t already have them on file)
Perfect I'm gonna give them a try! And thanks for the tag site, I'm gonna hit em up if I get another frame without one. Luckily the first bike I titled that didn't have one, the officer didn't give a shit

I'm finally coming to the end of my second 650 build and I've got a third engine that keeps whispering to me in the corner of my garage. My current dilemma is that I don't have another frame. Would anyone happen to have a titled frame here in CA?

Update: In my adventures to procure another frame, I somehow ended up having two more engines follow me home to add to my collection (a 78 and an all black 82, total of 5 now). Will now be needing at least 2-3 frames. Lord help me.
Ok...so I can do one roller for you for 700.00

Back