Top 3 Mods for reliability

Rustychopper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering what a general concesious is. What are mods people have done that were worth the money. Which ones they think where a waste of money? :thumbsup:

Frame service, including steeringhead bearings, swingarm bushes, wheel bearings, rear shocks, brakes, fork seals, oil, springs and brace, footpeg rubbers, handlebar rubbers.

New simplified wiring including fusebox and charging makeover.

Oil Filter upgrades. Cooler?

Tapered neck bearings.
18/32 gearing
8-1 compression
simple petcock and then link the vacuum barbs
'77 xs750 36 mm forks
blade fuses and rewound stator
xsjohns needles
larger capacity standard tank
quickie throttle mod
voltmeter
halogen headlamp
airbox mod
pick a couple, for my '83 Special they're all good mods.

I ran my bike last summer bone stock ... that being said, I am going to put a pamco in for peace of mind (29 year old electronics *shiver*) and I am going to start gathering parts for the PM alternator upgrade and right now I am upgrading my fuse panel to the ATM (mini) style blade fuses. I also plan in the near future to do the steering head bearings and bronze sing arm bushings

I put 36ml mikuni roundslides on. I'm not that impressed - but that may have more to do with the jerk I got them from.

Still running points - absolutely no problems whatsoever in 6 years of ownership, but the 1st time they act up I'm calling PamcoPete immediately.

Best mod was rewiring the bike!

Tossing the electric starter - if the bike is set up right - you just don't need it.

I did the Custom Rewind alternator-- the whole thing.
Did the oil filter/oil cooler thing.
Get rid of the stock fuse box. Blades are probably best but even cheapie inline fuse holders are better than the stock fuse box.
Moving the coils to a cooler location might be a good mod-- gets mighty hot sitting on top of the engine. I'm still trying to decide where that cooler location might be.

Points will never cause you problems as long as you do complete and accurate tune-ups on a regular basis, run the correct plugs and don't forget the correct condenser. Back in the early days of electronic ignitions we often "upgraded" to points. That said, my '83 came stock with electronic ignition and I've left it alone so far.

Don't forget that spark plugs need to be gapped-- even brand new. All it takes to change the factory gap is to drop a case of spark plugs on the floor of a trailer. And having spent 28 years trucking I can honestly say that happens a lot.

You guys need to go back to school. He said top 3, not top 12-20 :laugh:

Pamcopete Ignition with all new coil and wiring.

Permanent Magnet Alternator

New Timing Guides.

Those are my top three things to keep the bike trouble free...

1.change the oil frequently
2.replace torn sump filter with reinforced one
3.pamco ignition
4.new fuse block
5.new wiring harness

Last edited:
Points...I love the single set up. Clean and gap every oil change. Bike runs like a top.

Clean oil.....

Complete rewire with new fuse box and a solid state voltage regulator.

so far looks like pamco ignition is one of the top ones. too bad mikesxs is out of stock of the kit.

On the 70 to 79 years, the ignition coils were weak, only 10K to 13k voltage.............replace with a new single dual output coil with at least 30k volts.........can use points or a Pamco to fire the coil.

Again on 70 to 79 years, replace the rectifier with 2 bridge rectifiers, using only 6 of the 8 diodes.

70 to 79 years, replace the relay type regulator with an automotive "solid state" regulator.

he's only out of stock on the advance unit part(i believe) just wait for it.
But if you want reliability....
don't buy a 30 yr old bike.
as far as ignitions go, pete's setup is the way to go. REplacing the connectors, learning how to solder properly is another factor, and be gratefull these bikes were made for 14 years. one of the longest runs in import motors history. there is a buttload of parts out there. (you dont want to know the 7 paragraph tyraid I just deleted)

i asked for reliability solely because its nicer to ride the bike home than push it..... 5 years or 30 years old there are always proper "mods" and of course routine and thorough maitnance. I hope your 7 paragraph tyraid was nice ;)

not really, it was vodka inspired. Was mostly about the difference between keeping a early xs out from under the knife, and cutting up a late ''70s bike.
Ive got a 2003 suzuki marauder that ive uncorked, and rips ass, but I would never chop that bike, that is my bike that I would totally feel cofortable riding for a few hundred miles. its got 12k on it, and it all mine.

my go fast is in the form of a 184rwhp raven R1.....mmmmm yeah.

i mainly asked the question becasue i plan on taking my bike on a few longer trips this year to the beach(2 hour ride) to work everyday (45 min ride) its running well besides blowing a little oil out of the top vent onto my carbs. And the vacumm cross lines between the carbs slip off and are a pain in the ass to work on. besides some jets and straight pipes its stock wanted to know where to head and the best reliable mods for the money. My bike has simple wiring and is only kick start

Looking a this

1. Pamco high output kit
2. Honda oil filter conversion/new sump filter etc...
3. A place to hide some tools for the inevitable breakdown lol

i asked for reliability solely because its nicer to ride the bike home than push it..

The only show stopper I've had fail on my '81 in the 10,000 mi I've put on it is the ignition switch; a wire inside corroded loose from the pad. Nothing else that's happened would have forced me to fix it on the spot or push it home. But I've done lots of other repairs on it.

my go fast is in the form of a 184rwhp raven R1.....mmmmm yeah.

i mainly asked the question becasue i plan on taking my bike on a few longer trips this year to the beach(2 hour ride) to work everyday (45 min ride) its running well besides blowing a little oil out of the top vent onto my carbs. And the vacumm cross lines between the carbs slip off and are a pain in the ass to work on. besides some jets and straight pipes its stock wanted to know where to head and the best reliable mods for the money. My bike has simple wiring and is only kick start

Looking a this

1. Pamco high output kit
2. Honda oil filter conversion/new sump filter etc...
3. A place to hide some tools for the inevitable breakdown lol
those three upgrades will get you along way.
As far as your vaccuum cross lines, I was blowing off my caps, untill I put some very small zip-ties on them. Just loose enuf to get them off, but tight enuff to keep them on in case of carb spit when starting.
mines kick only, too.

I remember a Cycle World write-up. The writer had asked a mechanic what he should do to his Norton to prepare for a long trip. He told him to change the oil, oil the chain, adjust the valves and trade it in on a new Honda!

I have to say in the 6 years I've owned my bike the only thing that ever happened that I had to fix on the side of the road was a carb popping out of the boot, and I've had the wires on my battery brake off from the vibes.

Back