TX's Restomod thread.

CDNTX650

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
1974 TX650A. Free off of CL. "my son said he wanted to restore it...8 years ago" Sat outside all it's life, half assed covered. Intake and exhaust were plugged up with rubber. 9000 miles. Don't want to tear into the motor yet...on a slight budget till i can afford to do a 750 kit. Carbs were so ugly i didn't even bother with them. $70.00 later i got a set of clean bs-34's from ebay.

Always regretted my hardtail on my last one, wanted to have a close to stocker standard.

P4020011.jpg

P4020010.jpg

P4020014.jpg

P4020012.jpg

P4020010.jpg

Last edited:
Discovered the starter is toast....no prob. easy kick. Fired on 2nd kick!!! almost eyeballed the timing spot on. Runs real nice so far with my modded (Xs johns needles) bs-34's. A bit of smoke from left pot. ( could be left over sea foam or a stuck ring) but runs awesome so i'll see if it gets better after some miles. Forks seem soft, read that i might have to add a little more oil as i went by the clymers spec. Maybe some small spacers. No biggie. Only leaks so far are tappet cover gaskets. pictures are just after i pulled the carbs off. is that sidestand stock? Very happy to see oil spraying all over when i pulled a tappet cover off. Need to change oil again. (Pretty dirty, but thanks sea foam and rotella T)

That exhaust is the stockers, temporary of course till i can afford a new set.

Need a caliper rebuild kit.

Gas tank and seat are soon. Then shocks later. (still alright)

this 4 months of work.

roller1-1.jpg

roller2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Great job bringing another bike back on the road!

It's funny about that hardtail business isn't it? My chopper I couldn't wait to chop the back end off of that thing and build it differently. And even on my sportbike build I chopped the frame all to shreds, but there's something about the look of a stock frame that I really like. One of these days I'll get a build going using the stock frame. (with just a couple things cut off ;)

Keep up the good work on the bike!

looks great. My frame really needs a paint job but I'm to scared to tear it down. I'm a newb and I don't think I'd ever get it running again.

super easy. Make sure you label things on your harness and get a clymer manual.

I am honestly considering building harnesses for these that arent stock ones. For stock framed bikes, but minimal wiring. Like kick only, no signals or with. Kick/estart signal/no signals.

Going good! 'Sfunny about the chop regret, ennit? Too bad the grinder ,torch and sawzall pretty much fek it up to where you can't put it back easy. I hardtailed a 500 trump about 35 years ago, wish I had that bike stock, in my barn.
"Lawz a mercy, I has seen de light."
Not saying I wouldn't do it again, but would I regret it? Over time, yeah.

kinda worried about the smoke on the left pot....but i have to put some miles on it to see if it's just a stuck ring or something. (not like these are hard to work on anyways)

Keep adding a bit of Seafoam to the tank and just ride it. If it's a stuck ring, it might yet come unstuck.

Lookin' good so far. Keep it up.

I think your side stand is stock, It looks like my stock 75 stand.
Does your starter not turn or just make lots of grinding sounds?

no turn...guess i should have thought to test it before i put the motor back in.

do these bikes not lean real well on the sidestand? I don't recall my 78 before it got mangled ever leaning over well....

I put a side stand off an 82 Seca on my 75. It held the bike up better than the stock stand But the foot sat at about a 45 degree angle.
It had a bend it it about 1/2 way down.
Today, when I had the torch fired up to build a tool for fork tear down I heated the Side stand and straightened the bend out.
This made foot flat to the ground and made the tang that you use to put it up and down in the wrong place.
So more heat and some adjusting and a coat of paint, it not only works better but looks better.

You might needto remove the side stand and bend the fork back straight. If the mount bolt gets loose, the forks spread open and the bike leans farther, the farther it leans the more it spreads.

It's mostly push with your foot, lift with your hand. Putting the rear tire up on an inch board helps.

Getting my '81 Special up on its centerstand isn't hard. I just plant my foot on the centerstand and grab ahold of the grab rail. Push with the foot and pull with the hand. Standards have a hand loop attached to the frame, don't they? They should be easier to get up on the centerstand, if that's the case.

Ive got the same year trying for a resto mod look myself. Man I wish someone would come out with a bare bones wiring kit. It would make life much easier!

Back