Type of oil

You have innocently asked the dreaded "most frequently asked question".
I'll give you the conclusion:
Walmart's inexpensive Supertech oil is a perfectly good motor oil.
Google it, read about it.

Yes, I don't see the point in buying fancy, expensive oil for this bike. It's crude filtration system requires you change the oil frequently, like every 1000 to 1500 miles. I use the Walmart brand as well.

Yes, I don't see the point in buying fancy, expensive oil for this bike. It's crude filtration system requires you change the oil frequently, like every 1000 to 1500 miles. I use the Walmart brand as well.
When Pennzoil quit selling Pamco Pete's magic 20w50 at Wally's I migrated to Wally's Valvoline 20w50 MC specific since it has more of xsJohn's "zink".

Shell Rotella 15w40 is popular with those with bad charging systems. And rumor is it has zink, or not.

When Pennzoil quit selling Pamco Pete's magic 20w50 at Wally's I migrated to Wally's Valvoline 20w50 MC specific since it has more of xsJohn's "zink".
Look at what Wally wants for a quart of this in Canada! Must have gold as well as zinc. Note this is internet pricing that sometimes can be silly.

4D54ADFD-797A-4144-9DD0-94EAFB08BC89.png

Last edited:
I've always used Penzoil in everything I run. I guess WallyWorld's oil will work too. The oil filtration system does leave a little to be desired.

Sucked in damn it.
Life has gotten more complicated since cats
Zinc kills cats, everything new uses a cat these days (even ATVs and diesels) so oil no longer has zinc.
Does the XS NEED zinc? dunno
but AFAIK the only oil that has zinc available "around town" is Valvoline VR1 20-50, what I run.
You want a deep dive the Norton guru Jim Comstock did a serious and meticulous test series of "all major" brands.
https://www.accessnorton.com/Oil-Tests/NortonOil.php
couple caveats;
oil formulations change, FREQUENTLY, the labels give little or no info about changes. see above about cats
Nortons have "engine only" oil, no need to worry about the wet clutch. (well mostly) they are British, the crankcase/primary "seal" seals in name only.

Last edited:
Back