Ugly rubber jet covers

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else finding these in their BS34s?
plugs 002 (640x371).jpg
This is the second set of carbs I have opened up and found these giant "exploded" rubber plugs. These were originally the plugs over the idle/air orifices. This set has been gone through by someone before and I also found "oversized" o/rings. So anyone else finding these, is it an "aftermarket vender" issue with bad rubber expanding in gas/ethanol? I have opened several other sets of BS34's and the plugs were fine for being thirty year old rubber. These carbs show evidence of this rubber depositing around the carb presumably after dissolving in the gasoline. Any other ideas? Maybe a reaction to some "liquid overhaul" added to the gas? I am leary of buying more aftermarket plugs just to create a repeat performance.

are those the pilot jet plugs? thaats awfull. gotta be a way to wittle down metal to seal that up so we dont have to worry about that any more.
maybe someone stuck the whole carb in a chemdip?

Yeah that's what they are, uh were, pilot jet plugs. I was even thinking tap the hole and use a threaded brass plug.

I put in the replacement plugs that came with my rebuild kit a few weeks ago, but I'll put the originals back, from looking at that. I'll let you know what the replacements look like.

I've seen it. So bad it had glued itself to the float bowl. I'm pretty sure they were the original plugs that had been left with gas in the bowls and a leaky vacuum petcock. Everything else was varnished in also.

I would think it is aftermarket ones, (maybe mikes?). The ethanol would do that and after seeing the probs with the carb boots I would put money on it.

I have the mike plugs in mine and have had no issues. I also have been using the yamaha fuel conditioner for the ethanol problems. I should add that when i store the bike i drain all of the gas out.

I would think it is aftermarket ones, (maybe mikes?). The ethanol would do that and after seeing the probs with the carb boots I would put money on it.

The ones (carbs) I bought came with warning the bike had been parked a while.
So idunno maybe replacement plugs. Sure didn't look like they had any care or maintainence. Takes a long time to drain a tank through a leaky petcock and I don't see
one bowlful of dried gas making the mess I found.

I should add that when i store the bike i drain all of the gas out.

What a solution that you don't have to buy in a bottle? Kudos.
For vacuum petcocks It doesn't hurt to pull the fuel line at the petcock, slip on a piece of fuel line running to a container. Checking for leaks.

Back