Valve springs

kazoom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So noticed on my last ride a tiking sound from the engine, when i got back i started locating the sound and found that one of my rocker arms are not tight on rotating the engine, meaning its tight when compresing the valve spring but there is slack when not compressing. Hope i explained it right, what could cause this.

Best regards
Simon

Hi retired thanks for the reply and i hear what you are saying, but my problem is when you rotate the engine normaly you dont have slack on the rocker arms unless you are posisioned at or around tdc for that cylinder, this arm has slack in it all the time except when it compresses the valve, and yes i did adjust the valves and cam, only left exhaust has this problem.

Hope i make this understandable.

Best regards
Simon

Last edited:
But you are able to determine which side is TDC for adjustment purposes?
If so adjust it.

I don't see what the problem is. When pistons are at TDC, one cylinder will have the rocker arms compressing the valves, and one cylinder will have the rocker arms not compressing the valves. You adjust the clearances on the cylinder that has the loose rocker arms, then rotate the engine 360 degrees, and adjust the clearances on the other cylinder.

Guess i am not explaining it right. When you are at tdc on the right cylinder there is slack on the rocker arm (where you set your valve clearence)when you rotate the engine futher there is usually no play in the rocker arm its tight against the valve spring (not compressing the spring just tight) except this one, there is the same amont of valve clearence when you rotate the engine past tdc until it starts to compress on the valve spring.

Perhaps do a compression test while you're at it to see if there is any issues with bent valves or sticking valves.
Both sides should be within 10-15% of each other and somewhere between 125-150 lbs. Not sure what that is in metric. (about 8.5-10.5 kg)

good instructions on valve adjusting;

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13083

Last edited:
Back