Vesrah or Athena gasket set?

The Athena head gasket is thicker (.060") compared to the stocker or the Vesrah (.043"). I spoke with 3M about this last time I placed an order and he didn't seem to think it made much difference but some people do. Theoretically, it would lower compression and power output slightly. Now, whether or not that is a difference you would actually notice is another matter.

I have the Athena head gasket on my bike now and it seems to run fine. If it's down on power, it's such a small amount I guess I don't even notice. Next time it comes apart, I may just spring for the Vesrah head gasket to see if it does make a difference.

3M at 650Central sells the Vesrah head gaskets separately but I don't think he has a full Vesrah gasket kit. If I ever ran across one, like on eBay or something, and it was similarly priced compared to the Athena set, I think I'd get it.

Well, there you go then. The only things the Vesrah kit lacks compared to the Athena one are the valve guide seals and drain plug seal washers. On the other hand, it looks like it has the valve cover o-rings which the Athena kit does not.

Thanks 5twins... I'm a totally new to engine work, so I was concerned about the quality. Want to get the best bang for my buck on this kind of stuff. Thanks for your input

The quality is good on both. Some don't care for the green color on many of the Athena gaskets but they work just fine. Both the valve cover o-rings and valve guide seals are available separately and cost about the same so total cost after adding what's missing would be about the same. Thanks for the DK link, I'll probably try that gasket set next time.

I'm just in the middle of ordering the Athena kit from 650central and was wondering about the .060 vs .043 head gaskets. I decided to just try the .060 as I assumed it wouldnt cause too much of a power difference, and Im not building any race bike.

Thanks for the response 5twins, you've confirmed my thoughts for me. Nice to know.

Back