Video of my bike and metallic sound

rtaylor522

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay guys, I finally got a video of my mostly stock 72 XS2 that I have been working on since last year.

As I was listening to the video, I hear a metallic like sound towards the end of the video when I rev the engine up. TeeCat thinks it may be the cam chain guide as he hears the same thing on his bike when he videos it. Any other thoughts?

I'm pretty sure I have the adjust set properly but it was a brand new chain during overhaul so maybee it stretches out really fast? I only rode it 5 miles and needed to make a big adjustment...how long will this last and how often should I adjust while breaking it in?

Also any suggestions on RPM limits etc. during break in of a fresh overhaul?

Enjoy the vid! Hope you guys like the bike:bike:

RT... I was listening to the sort of whirring, but the ticking could be either a valve adjustment issue or a maladjusted cam chain. Adjust your chain hot. The little plunger tip should bob in and out just about a millimeter... you'll be able to feel it more with a fingertip than see it. An inexpensive mechanic's stethoscope may help you to determine more precisely where the sound is coming from.

Come to think of it I have not verified the valve adjustment since the overhaul, and I'm not sure if I have the proper pages in my original manual still...I'll have to check that. You don't know the clearances for a 72 off the top do you?

One thing I've been wondering is how hot is hot? I don't have the bike tagged yet, is a couple laps around the block enough to get this engine up to temp? (1-2 miles) after warmup. sure feels hot after 10 minutes of riding/idling, and also should oil come out of that chain tensioner when I have the cap off? I believe it was last time I tried this.

intake clearance is .003 inch (0.74mm)and exhaust is .006 inch (.15mm)

yes oil does come out of the acorn nut when you take it off. if you have a good o-ring though you should get no leakage during riding. 10 minutes of riding is barely enough to get it up to temp but yes that will do until you get tags. so warm it up, check the cam chain/valve clearance, and enjoy!

Thanks Anysnail,

I get no leaking when the cover is on, I have an o-ring there so that is good although I was getting a little leaking around the housing gasket for the adjuster which I traced to a looser bolt on the bottom left. I could just keep riding around the block, but in MD with no helmet, shorts, and no tags and a cop that I don't know for a neighbor I don't know how long I want to push my luck haha...Just talked to MVA and they say since it's historic it will cost me about 150 bucks (38.40 for title, 50 for registration and 51 for historic plates) I'll just make my way on over there....I also suppose I should get the "M" endorsment added on seeing as the 2 years I was riding in north dakota I may have overlooked that....whoops haha.

Okay just an update on the sound....A little extra tension on the cam chain adjuster and the right exhaust valve was gapped about 3 times wider than it should of been. Once those things were adjusted properly I have a much less "metallic" sounding engine.

Thanks for the help!

Back