VR 115 Regulator question

radio one

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question: Should I see battery voltage on the green wire constantly or does the vr115 regulator only send voltage when the battery voltage drops below a certain level? I currently have the stator removed from the bike while I am waiting to receive a new stock rotor, and so the regulator is not plugged into the stator/brushes. I checked voltage on the vr1115 regulator and there is no voltage on the green wire. The regulator has power from the brown (switched) wire and Im certain that everything is wired correctly. My battery is new and fully charged. Im concerned that I may have a bad (although new) VR115 regulator. Thanks for any help.

Do you have both the yellow and orange from the VR-115 connected to battery positive? Do you have the VR-115 black connected to battery negative (the bike frame is the same as battery negative as long as the negative cable connects to bare, non corroded, metal)?

The regulator expects to see a current flow on the greenwire, so leaving it open circuit to measure voltage, may not be a valid test. I suggest you wait until you have good rotor so the regulator sees its normal load (5 to 6 ohms).

Thanks Retiredgentleman, and yes, I have it wired exactly as you stated. Before I discovered that my rotor was bad I had no voltage to the green wire. Giiven your comment, this may be due to the fact that the regulator wasn't reading the required ohms from the non-functioning rotor? I also discovered that the PO installed the brushes incorrectly and had the left brush permanently grounded. I assume that's what took out the rotor? New brushes and new rotor should arrive this week.

Thanks Retiredgentleman, and yes, I have it wired exactly as you stated. Before I discovered that my rotor was bad I had no voltage to the green wire. Giiven your comment, this may be due to the fact that the regulator wasn't reading the required ohms from the non-functioning rotor? I also discovered that the PO installed the brushes incorrectly and had the left brush permanently grounded. I assume that's what took out the rotor? New brushes and new rotor should arrive this week.

Was the VR-115 being used when you found the left brush grounded? If so, you had a direct short circuit to ground for the VR-115.:eek: Did the main 20 amp fuse blow at that time? If the fuse blew, it may have saved the VR-115 from being damaged. The VR-115 may now be burnt out.

Unfortunately, the answer is yes, the VR1115 was being used before I found the left brush was grounded. Im hoping that because the 20 amp fuse did not blow, that the rotor was already toast and didn't burn out the regulator. I guess time will tell.

Unfortunately, the answer is yes, the VR1115 was being used before I found the left brush was grounded. Im hoping that because the 20 amp fuse did not blow, that the rotor was already toast and didn't burn out the regulator. I guess time will tell.

Since the 20 amp fuse did not blow, that means the VR-115 took a full body slam and is now deceased. Oh well, a new VR-115 is not that expensive.

Back