Was almost done with chop, 1 step forward 3 stapes back.

jurob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my 78 about a year ago ago and chopped it within a month after making sure there were no issues. Set since last winter running great, but needing to be rewired.

Finally picked it up a couple of weeks ago from my buddues house with the welder (hour and a half away) with plans to rewire. Started right up and ran a little rough, but cleared up after a few minutes. Felt like it was running on 1 cylinder.

Rewired everything except my taillight. Noticed yesterday it started running rough, but would clear up. Today was backfiring out of the carb real bad, pretty much popping air and fuel out of the carb.

Intake valve was loose so readjusted so thought that was the problem, it wasn't. Checked compression, it's zero.

Hoping it's a stuck intake valve which could explain the loose intake arm, but will run a scope next weekend to see if I have a hole in my piston.

With the luck vie had lately my guess is a hole in the piston. Sucks because it got a new top end just before I got it.

Bummer. I just bought a cb750F that 'needed a good carb cleaning', and turns out it has a stuck valve. Know how your feelin.

Back