water blasting engine parts

nozila

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a spare engine Im looking at putting together. Is there any component thats cannot be water blasted?

Thanks,
D

I inquired about getting my engine wet blasted or water blasted or Vapor blasted or what ever it is called. Heard about it but didn't know so went searching and the differences that are called the same thing makes it very confusing to be able to know who is telling what.

I talked to a few of the different business about their product and results and what warranty come with the work.

These guys...... http://www.vapourblastingbrisbane.com.au/what-is-vapour-blasting/ ...........who do Vapor Blasting state on the site......... "Whilst every effort is made to ensure returned parts are free of blasting media, it remains the customer’s responsibility to check that the returned parts are suitably clean and decontaminated prior to use and/or re-assembly."................So the onus is on the customer to make sure the parts are not contaminated. The XS650 engines oil galleries would be a problem area.

These guys.....http://www.wetblasting.net/ ......call their service wet blasting. He guaranties there is no reside left inside the cases and the service includes preening that makes the parts oil and grease resistant and the parts are easily wiped clean without staining. This guy is also a solo operator who works on every piece himself, does a lot of restorations of classic bikes and cars. I talked at length to him and though there is no guarantee he is what he says till i see a finished product in my hand, he was reassuring and spent the time so i didn't feel as though i was taking his time.

When doing the search i used both vapor blasting and wet blasting, and more often than not the Vapor Blasting results used the term Vapor Blasting and/or Wet Blasting, had both services as the same. Are they? Well the Wet Blasting guy i talked to assured me his Wet Blasting service was not Vapor Blasting and used a different process and a different end result.

I guess the point i am trying to make is, Vapor blasting and wet blasting can be different but also lumped into the same. I would suggest doing research your self and not just rely on a narrow window of information.

thanks for the links. ideally, I want to blast my crank, gearbox gears but I dont think any blasting will be suitable.

I didn't notice your here in Oz. I don't know why you would think there is a need for the crank and gears to be blasted but give the guy, in the second link i posted, a call and he will tell you if he has done, or would do them.

Yea not sure why you would want to blast the crank unless it's been sitting in water which would mean a compleate disassembly,new bearings and then pressed back together?

theres just a bit of surface rust on the crank and on the gears so I was wondering if they could be blasted as well.

Clean them with a soft brush and solvent, oil 'em, stick 'em in a plastic bag as soon as possible. Some engine parts have some surface rust when they're assembled new. Bad pits are ................and no kind of blasting will remedy pits.

Scott

Back