Weak Midrange RPMs. Loss of "Pull".....goes flat...

Thanks twins. Thats just what i was looking for. I've been reading up on this project, just wanted to make sure Im prepared to finish it when I start it. I think the screws will be the worst part due to the heads on the left carbs are buggered up. Ill take a look at those screwdrivers. I may check fastenal to see if they have some good JIS drivers locally before I order them online. I always try to buy local first.

Thanks

I changed the two outside seals with the carbs on the bike in about 20 mins. I could have done it in less than 5 but I've never done them and I was moving slow. They are nothing to be scared of. SUPER easy. The left one was intact and looked ok but was hard like plastic. The right one looked crappy, tried to disolve as i was removing it and basically was doing nothing good. The new seals from mikes acutally fit very well, it seems any way. I havent done the inside seals yet. I will post pics of that adventure also. After the seals, i went ahead and changed the rubber seal in my gas cap. The cap always vibrated a bit. I dont think it will anymore. It closes easily but fits very snugg. The one i removed was in very bad shape.

We're getting there ! :thumbsup:

Almost time to :bike:

Shitty weather this weekend pisses me off and slows me down though.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMAG0741.jpg
    IMAG0741.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMAG0743.jpg
    IMAG0743.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMAG0744.jpg
    IMAG0744.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAG0745.jpg
    IMAG0745.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG0749.jpg
    IMAG0749.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMAG0750.jpg
    IMAG0750.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG0738.jpg
    IMAG0738.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG0751.jpg
    IMAG0751.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 153
The usual choice for your BS34s is the UP-4229 or UP-4229ST (dual layer). There is also a 15° angled version of the dual layer, the UP-4229AST. Sometimes they may fit into the space available better if that space has been changed from stock through mods. If space is really cramped, like on some hardtails, the shorter rubber end capped PK-92 kit can be used .....

http://unifilter.com/clamp_on.html

Well, I guess i screwed up. I miss-underestimated your quote. You should have said, the UP-4229's are too big. You'll have to remove your battery box and order a pma in order for them to fit. Or cut the back half of the bike off. I didnt think i had space issues until I tried to fit these single wide trailers behind my carbs. Will have to send them back and wait another week for the PK-92's to come in i guess. I dont really want to modify my frame or my number plates to fit air filters.

Oh well.:shrug:

Not your fault 5twins, you gave me plenty of good info, but for anyone else interested, The UP-4229s are very much larger than you think they are when you order them. They appear to be made for a much larger space than the xs is designed for.

They scared my horses :yikes:

Just for comparison, so you can see the size difference between these and the XS Performance pods from Mikes.

Havent decided yet how to move forward, I will keep you posted.

FYI......the second pic is NOT and INA filter.....its just upside down. Do not adjust your monitor.

No horses were injured in the writing of this post.

Attachments

• IMAG0753.jpg
    IMAG0753.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAG0754.jpg
    IMAG0754.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 192
They fit on mine but I have BS38s which I think are slightly shorter. However, they fit on my buddy's '80 Special II with BS34s so ..... I don't know what's up with yours. Are you sure your battery box hasn't been moved? If it's a matter of the diameter being too large, that red outer wrap can be pulled right off leaving you with, essentially, the 4229 plain black version of the filter.

They fit on mine but I have BS38s which I think are slightly shorter. However, they fit on my buddy's '80 Special II with BS34s so ..... I don't know what's up with yours. Are you sure your battery box hasn't been moved? If it's a matter of the diameter being too large, that red outer wrap can be pulled right off leaving you with, essentially, the 4229 plain black version of the filter.

It appears to be more the length, but the overall dimensions are larger than I expected. they are pretty big. Almost as big as a horse. :D I like the red, Id prefer it on there. The battery box is stock, still hanging on the rubber mounts, and with my number plates, Ive been looking around online, and I bet I have more room available than Id have with stock airboxes and side covers. Not that thats a fair comparison. My plates basically surround the battery box. They might fit if I take off my number plates but then they will basically be touching the battery box, which would now be visible with no side covers.

I will probably call the distributor and tell them what happened and do an exchange for the smaller versions. Too bad they are in California. Looking at about 8 days or more of shipping before I can do anything else to the bike.:mad:

Tallahassee sucks for bikers. I can only get 1 thing for my bike without special order.

Oil.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks.

She will be great when done.

I changed my inside throttle seals this weekend. Im certain it made a positive difference. The old seals were hard and in one case cracked and failing. Idle sounds better, still just a hint of a psss sound but it could be air pulling into the carbs through the filters or a small air leak at the boots maybe. I havent been able to locate an air leak but she still wants to stall at the lights. Not everytime, but its a problem.

Now, Im running 1 up from stock on the pilot and mains. Mix screws out 3 turns. Dual open pipes with lollipop baffles. New shaft seals. I got the boots from Mikes like 8 months ago. They seem fine but people talk poorly of them and I have this reccuring problem. I dont want to upgrade, financial reasons, but I will if i have too. I am also running xs performance pods but they shouldnt affect idle really, more the mid range I believe. I havent tuned the carbs yet but I plan to do that this week now that my seals are done.

I have enclose pics of my plugs right after riding yesterday. Maybe 25 miles or so.

Also, I've always gotten 55 mpg. Now im getting about 40.

Pics....Left is left plug, right pic is right plug.

Attachments

• IMAG0768.jpg
    IMAG0768.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG0770.jpg
    IMAG0770.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 172
Well, your plugs look like they're trying to burn themselves clean, but they still look rich. Did you verify that the needles are assembled correctly? I would also check float levels. These BS34s can be very picky about those.

Floats are at 23mm. I plan to do the clear hose check with the nipple to see inside the fuel from the outside.

I couldnt get the top bracket off one of the carbs so I didnt check the needles. I know you've told me 3 times now and I will do it. I had limited time and got as much done as i could. I will get that done this week in the evening.

Also, may matter may not, the plugs are the ones ive been running so there may be some residual stuff on there. I may put in new plugs and run it to get a more accurate reading of the plugs.

Should I attempt a tune first, or consider going to a 137.5 main before tuning. The air fuel seems to be even on both sides, but maybe more air than fuel. I could also open the mix screws a little more.

My current main concern is the bike wanting to idle down and cut off at lights. Maybe a little more when its in gear than neutral. It doesnt just die, the idle drops then it dies. I may be able to get a vid of it.

Fact of fiction? It would either be too much fuel or too much air leading to a leanness of the other. Or vise versa. To little of one or the other. The cause of which is my "Snipe."

EvenmoreXS;

My experience with Mikesxs carb manifolds.................unacceptable! I tried Mikesxs carb boots for my BS38 carbs, but they were such a bad fit, they was air being sucked in. I could not tighten them enough, because they were just a very poor fit. I re-installed my original (now 35 years old) and no more air being sucked in.

Your BS38 manifolds may be different, but its something to be aware off.

Another one of Mikesxs parts that are poorly made.

I don't understand that last statement. At 23mm, your float levels are actually a little low and on the lean side. That may have something to do with the stalling. Like I said, these 34s are picky about that setting.

I can raise the floats. They were very rich at 24. But I also had 140 mains that I didnt know about. Very good point twins. I knew that , but I forgot about having the 140's in there before. Quick change this evening.

EvenmoreXS;

My experience with Mikesxs carb manifolds.................unacceptable! I tried Mikesxs carb boots for my BS38 carbs, but they were such a bad fit, they was air being sucked in. I could not tighten them enough, because they were just a very poor fit. I re-installed my original (now 35 years old) and no more air being sucked in.

Your BS38 manifolds may be different, but its something to be aware off.

Another one of Mikesxs parts that are poorly made.

I may clean my old carb boots and try those, I kept em. They were gnarley when removed. I'll look em over and see if they look useable. If not, I'll have to order some i guess. I think they are pretty bad though.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 132
I can raise the floats. They were very rich at 24. But I also had 140 mains that I didnt know about. Very good point twins. I knew that , but I forgot about having the 140's in there before. Quick change this evening.

Derrr,derr,deet de dee.

The mains shouldnt affect idle.

I don't understand that last statement. At 23mm, your float levels are actually a little low and on the lean side. That may have something to do with the stalling. Like I said, these 34s are picky about that setting.

Another point worth making, maybe. The shocks i have are a shorter that stock. Bike squats a little. That would change my float because of the fuel level angle, maybe.

What you have to remember about setting floats is you're measuring and setting things with the carbs upside down. That means a higher number will translate into a lower float height and fuel level when the carbs are turned rightside up. So, 24 gives less fuel in the bowl than 23 which gives less than 22.

What you have to remember about setting floats is you're measuring and setting things with the carbs upside down. That means a higher number will translate into a lower float height and fuel level when the carbs are turned rightside up. So, 24 gives less fuel in the bowl than 23 which gives less than 22.

Yep, raising the floats to 22mm without the gasket. Lower number = more fuel in the bowl.

I did mis type earlier when i put 24. My bad. They were set at like 17 or something when I got the bike. I set them to 23 and got better results. Still trying to nail it down, obviously.

Thanks.

Back