What an idiot!

ronstern

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been in the process of reassembling my motor and finally peened the cam chain back in place when I figured I'd look in the Haynes to see if I missed anything. Then I read the part where it says to make sure the valve springs are in the correct orientation before you put the valves back in. Much to my dismay, the springs were not oriented in any such way and now I have to grind the new cam chain master link back off and take apart the valve head to re-align those springs. I don't think I can slip the chain off because it's a new chain and very tight. I feel like such an idiot.

That's a bitch. Give getting that chain off a shot though. You know to kick the bearings out to drop the cam down?

Well, I think it is possible to remove the valve springs without removing the cam. I know that you can change the valve seals with the engine in the frame because I did it, so you have the advantage of being able to remove the cam shaft cover and the rocker arms and then using a home made tool to compress the springs, remove the collets and fix the spring problem. Just make sure that the pistons are at TDC so the valves do not fall into the cylinder.

Actually, the tool I'm thinking of uses the rocker arms for leverage, so the sequence would be to remove the collets before removing the rocker arm, fix the spring issue, then replace the rocker arm and use the tool to replace the collets.

I know the bearings can move (sideways) while the cam is in place but that chain is tight. What tool could I use to push the bearings off the cam that wouldn't damage the bearings or the machined surface of the casting?

pamcopete - I don't know how you managed to get the seals or the springs out while not removing the cam...you must be a magician. Can you elaborate on how you do that and what tool you used? I had a hell of a time just getting the collets back in place until I realized that if you leveled the valve surface while compressed - one at a time - I could "walk" the collet in place. I pushed them in place with a chopstick. Then they would drop into position and I could release the pressure on the compressor. It took me hours for the first set of collets and minutes for the rest. I took pictures and will post my technique later. Hey, whatever works.

hard_y_rd - the springs have slightly different spacings. If you look at a cross section, they are wound slightly tighter on one end. They need to be installed with the tighter windings orientated on the bottom. I guess it has to do with the mass as they bounce around.

O.k. I had a quick look at my clymer and didn't see anything. When i took my valves out i put them in a zipzoc bag and taped the collars to the top so i should be good. I thought it was something to do with the rotation.
Hope you get your's sorted out.

Hard_y_rd - That included the inside springs as well. Don't know if you put your valves in yet but the collets come out easier than they go back in!

ronstern,

Here is a description of the technique by member grepper. He improved on my method considerably.

The big question, Is it possible to change your Valve Seals without taking the engine out and disassembling the head? Yes! But it's not easy. One of my bikes was leaking oil through the valves, so I took it upon myself to try it. Here's how I did it.

If anyone wants to chime in, even to say DON'T DO THAT, you are welcome.

Making the tool:
I couldn't find a Electrical Conduit Reducer as PAMCOPETE suggests, so I made my own tool. I bought a 1/2 inch pipe coupling from the local hardware store.
dscf0001.jpg

Next I went at it with my $15 Harbor Freight angle grinder (it's fun grinding metal, sparks everywhere), and cut a nice big window in it, leaving only about 1/3 inch wide support on one side and top and bottom rings only a few millimeters thick. I finished off with a hand file to make sure I got all the loose barbs off (don't want any bits falling into the engine).

dscf0002.jpg

Other tools I used were assorted clean screw drivers, a couple of pairs of needle nose pliers, and various wrenches, very good lighting and a LOT OF PATIENCE.
Now that I have my tool, I'm ready to take apart the valves. With the engine at TDC, I do one valve at a time, first removing the tappet cover, then the tappet out of the rocker arm. Also, I put a nice clean screw driver through the spark plug hole to catch the valve before it drops all the way down into the piston.
Next I slip one end of my tool between the rocker arm and the top of the valve spring, and the other over the rocker arm. I have a 8mmX1.0 bolt, nut and washer, feed it through the top of the tool and into the top of the rocker arm.
dscf0003.jpg

Here I have to make sure everything is nice and square, with the bottom of my tool centered on the valve. Then I tighten the nut down, compressing the spring down, but not the top of the valve and collets. With the spring compressed, I can gently push the valve up with my screw driver through the spark plug hole. The collets will come loose. Then very carefully I use a pair of bent tip needle nose pliers to take the collets out. My tool provides a nice catch for these, but it's still possible to drop them down into the head.
(If the collets do fall down into the head, go out to the driveway, stomp your feet and curse a bit. Then go out the back yard, grab a seat, have a cigarette, and watch the birds in the trees and calm down. Then go back into the garage and fish those collets out.)
Next, decompress the spring and remove the tool. Then I use a screw driver, forcing it between the spring and the retaining washer on top the spring and remove it.
Then I put my tool back in compressing the spring, this time there's no retaining washer on top of the spring (so I have room to pull the old valve seal out).
Note, exhaust valves can drop down past the seal, but intake valve do not. If the exhaust valve drops down too far and you lose the hold you have on it with the screw driver through the spark plug hole, it’s not all over. (Go through anger and calming exercise above). You can take the exhaust header pipe off, reach in there with some needle nose pliers and push it back up.
Next, I use my bent tip needle nose pliers to reach down into the spring and pull the old seal out. I found that I ended up grabbing the top first and ripping that out, then reaching in again for the rest of the seal. Again, be very careful not to drop any unwanted bits into the head.
After you have the old seal out, you can put the new seal in. I put my seal casually into the spring. Pushed the valve up and gently used my fingers to push the top of the valve past the top of the seal. With the valve up, I gently but firmly use the tips of my bent nose pliers and push the seal into place. I want to make sure I don't damage the new seal. I test the seal, moving the valve up and down making sure it stays in place.
(Hurray! I over half way done with the first seal)
I decompress the spring, take my tool out.
I pop the retaining washer back on to the top of the spring. Then put my tool back in, compress the spring, push the valve up, put the collets back in, and decompress the spring. Then take my tool out. Put the tappet back in. Set my valve clearance, put the tappet cover back on and I'm done with one valve.
Honestly it took me about 45 minutes to do one seal. I didn’t rush things, and even though I was very careful, I found that getting the tool square on the spring was not easy. If I didn’t have it square, I had to decompress, square it up again, and try again. With things not square and centered, I would not be able to get the seal in or out, the collets didn’t want to go back in, etc… After I finished, I wonder if it would have been easier to just take the engine out, maybe not, that’s not easy either.

Again, credit to member grepper for this ingenious technique...:thumbsup:

So, in your case you could use this technique to remove the collets, then remove the rockers, then the valve springs. Be sure that the pistons are at TDC so the valves do not drop down into the cylinder. When I did it, I found that I could hold the valve in position with a screwdriver through the spark plug hole, but you have the exhaust and carbs off, so you can reach in intake and exhaust ports to hold the valves in place if necessary. Be sure to block all the oil return passages with a rag so the collets cannot drop down into the sump.

Last edited:
Never having done this I thought I'd chime in! Several have suggested a chunk of clean soft nylon rope fed into the spark plug hole does a great job of holding the valve closed. With piston coming up on compression, feed in some rope, turn the crank till the rope is pressed between the piston crown and valve head then do the rest of the procedure.

Thanks, that's so ingenious but I think it's easier to try to slip the bearings off. I'm gonna try the path of least resistance first.

I'm in the process of putting the motor back together and checked my valve springs for the correct orientation because i'm a bit paranoid i did it wrong. I thought i had them the right way but remembered i had to clean them up a bit. I can't see much difference in either end of the spring for being tighter on one end. What is the best way to measure this.
Can you tell by the top/bottom of the spring for wear. It seems like there is more wear on one end.

You have to make sure the windings are in the correct orientation. You should be able to see the windings are tighter on one end than the other. I think the windings are orientated with the tighter windings on the bottom.

I can't tell the difference with them out. Both springs look to be equal on both ends. I can't tell by eye balling them. I understand what you are saying. Just can't tell by looking at them.

you think that you have been an idiot ?...... what does that make me I wonder.

I recently very carefully put the springs valves and collets back on my head without any valve stem seals :doh::doh::doh:

I was casually looking through my remaining seals and gaskets and suddenly realised what I had done doh!

luckily the head hadn't been fully assembled and fitted .

Now I realise that I haven't orientated the springs either !:doh::doh:

There is nothing whatsoever about rebuilding the valve assembly in the Haynes manual :mad: Can someone explain to me the correct orientation and fitment of the valve springs please, I hadn't realised that there was a difference in tension at each end or is this a windup?

Last edited:
The springs are supposed to be tighter coiled on the bottom (both inner and outer springs).Hard to measure with calipers as they don't really fit in between the coils. I just used a thick washer that barely fit in between the coils. You can see the difference just a little as where the top and bottom of the spring should be.
What would happen if they were in wrong? Would it be bad? I don't know. Maybe someone could enlighten us on this. I already had mine out twice to check them (OCD) I love doing stuff twice. Maybe three times.

The springs are supposed to be tighter coiled on the bottom (both inner and outer springs)'.....
' What would happen if they were in wrong? Would it be bad? I don't know. Maybe someone could enlighten us on this. I already had mine out twice to check them (OCD) I love doing stuff twice. Maybe three times.

The only reason I can think of for having progressively stronger springs towards the end of their compression is to assist the valves returning to seat quickly by applying more pressure on the valve train to maintain the cam follower face on the cam lobe at higher rpm :wink2:

Back