What book are you reading right now?

"Fault Lines" by Voddie T. Baucham Jr.
"Dear reader, I know it is hard. I don’t like losing friends, being called names, or being ousted from platforms any more than you do. However, you and I must love the truth more than we love our friends, our reputations, or our platforms."

Dickens - a very comprehensive biography by Peter Ackroyd. Runs to nearly eleven hundred pages before you get to the notes and indices so this might take a while . . .

Ackroyd is a novelist and, although it's a biography, the book shows a literary style in use of language and how he assembles the rich tapestry of facts which he has clearly spent a lot of effort researching. So as well as the bare details of Charles Dickens' life, you are given a very rich, warts and all picture of life in C19th England.

Found this at the thrift store. Kinda interesting.
zeppelin_book.jpg

Just finished Born To Run by Christopher McDougall
This is a great book, even if you are not a runner. Makes you think about how the major shoe companies have duped us through marketing tactics to sell more shoes. Over/under pronators, low/high arches, etc., only to convince you to buy the proper "support" for those ailments. The indigenous tribe in Mexico which is the basis of the book runs for hundreds of miles between villages using nothing but homemade sandals, running on the balls of their feet with no injuries. Read Born to Run 2, which is also a good read but more focused on running form, diet, etc. Had to give up running due to knee issues, but after reading these books, I changed running form and type of shoes, and can now run pain free. 60 years old and recently ran a half marathon. The book works!

Still working through the 'Dickens' biography but it's big book - gonna take a while.

Meanwhile, also getting into 'How Bad are Bananas?' by Mike Berners-Lee. Subtitle is 'The carbon footprint of everything'.

Berners-Lee, who works at Lancaster Uni on global warming, looking at the impact of different human activities, products, services and so forth, recalls being interviewed by a journalist in a supermarket, giving the CO2e* figures for different products when she asked How bad are bananas? So he decided then and there to write a book helping individuals take good decisions on what they put in their shopping trolleys. And guidance on travel, services etcetera.

It's an easy read. Lots of examples, like the businessman who asked him should our company put electric dryers or paper towels in the staff toilets? Berners-Lee pointed out to him that making one less transatlantic flight each year would save in the order of 10,000 times as much CO2 as any decision on hand drying.

An easy read but also highly informative and thought provoking. He leads the reader to make comparisons so that we can reduce our impact on the climate but still lead full and interesting lives.

Highly recommended.

*CO2e is carbon-dioxide equivalent, rolling together methane, nitrous oxide and other greenhouse gasses for total impact on climate change.

Last edited:
Still working through the 'Dickens' biography but it's big book - gonna take a while.

Meanwhile, also getting into 'How Bad are Bananas?' by Mike Berners-Lee. Subtitle is 'The carbon footprint of everything'.

Berners-Lee, who works at Lancaster Uni on global warming, looking at the impact of different human activities, products, services and so forth, recalls being interviewed by a journalist in a supermarket, giving the CO2e* figures for different products when she asked How bad are bananas? So he decided then and there to write a book helping individuals take good decisions on what they put in their shopping trolleys. And guidance on travel, services etcetera.

It's an easy read. Lots of examples, like the businessman who asked him should our company put electric dryers or paper towels in the staff toilets? Berners-Lee pointed out to him that making one less transatlantic flight each year would save in the order of 10,000 times as much CO2 as any decision on hand drying.

An easy read but also highly informative and thought provoking. He leads the reader to make comparisons so that we can reduce our impact on the climate but still lead full and interesting lives.

Highly recommended.

*CO2e is carbon-dioxide equivalent, rolling together methane, nitrous oxide and other greenhouse gasses for total impact on climate change.
Raymond, You have to let go of the enter key once you post the content.
Or are you going for the forum record of postings.......:laugh2::lmao:;)

Raymond, You have to let go of the enter key once you post the content.
Or are you going for the forum record of postings.......:laugh2::lmao:;)
Ads, me compooter got its keks in a bit of a twist this morning. Maybe a neighbour was using up the available bandwidth? Everything just running super slow. Typed in the post, but when I tried to submit, it just sat there for ages then timed out. No sign it had kept the posting. So I tried again . . . .

Don't know how to delete postings so have sort of modded them.

Still a good book though.

Just finished Born To Run by Christopher McDougall
This is a great book, even if you are not a runner. Makes you think about how the major shoe companies have duped us through marketing tactics to sell more shoes. Over/under pronators, low/high arches, etc., only to convince you to buy the proper "support" for those ailments. The indigenous tribe in Mexico which is the basis of the book runs for hundreds of miles between villages using nothing but homemade sandals, running on the balls of their feet with no injuries. Read Born to Run 2, which is also a good read but more focused on running form, diet, etc. Had to give up running due to knee issues, but after reading these books, I changed running form and type of shoes, and can now run pain free. 60 years old and recently ran a half marathon. The book works!
Finished "Born to Run" on your recommendations. Great book.
You don't have to be a runner to enjoy it, but it definitely helps. And, if you aren't a runner when you start it, you might become one by the time you finish it.

Speaking of running books... "The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner" by Alan Sillitoe (1959). Born to Run is non-fiction, Loneliness is a short novel. You really, really don't have to be a runner to enjoy it. An easy read. I've read this 5 or 6 times, more than any other book. Obviously one of my top favorites.

514QUJzXGZL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Just finished "Killers of the Flower Moon." Will come out as a movie in October. By the same author of "The Wager," which I dropped in post #98, and which is also going to be made into a movie. I guess now I'll have to read "The Lost City Of Z."

cover298094-large.png

Currently reading "Justice is Coming." Very entertaining.

Finished "Born to Run" on your recommendations. Great book.
You don't have to be a runner to enjoy it, but it definitely helps. And, if you aren't a runner when you start it, you might become one by the time you finish it.

Speaking of running books... "The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner" by Alan Sillitoe (1959). Born to Run is non-fiction, Loneliness is a short novel. You really, really don't have to be a runner to enjoy it. An easy read. I've read this 5 or 6 times, more than any other book. Obviously one of my top favorites.
Since reading the two Born to Run books, I've changed my diet too. For the past six months I make a blended shake of chia seeds (straight from that book), protein powder, a little organic honey, vanilla, cinnamon, tumeric, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Blend with a little ice. That's my breakfast every morning and wow what a difference it has made. More energy, lost some weight, cholesterol is lower, and I can set my watch with my trip to the bathroom each morning, lol.

716x12qJJoL._SY466_.jpg

Just finished and thoroughly enjoyed "Eyeing the Flash" by Peter Fenton. "Flash" is carny lingo for the prizes -- plush stuffed animals, etc. -- that are given away in carnival midway games. I've always had a thing for books about outsiders, such as outlaw bikers, prisoners, slaves, alcoholics. This book fits the bill.

61Wt6PBURfL._SY466_.jpg

This is one of my favorite outsider books. Written in 1935, it's a first-hand account of being a hobo during the Great Depression.

51N7GC6QZPL._SY466_.jpg

Another good one. About a homeless man from Austin and his dog.

Practical Egyptian Magic by Murry Hope. 1986? A brief study into the three ancient Egyptian dynasties, their beliefs, and such. Hope appears to have done quite a bit of research into Egyptology as she has written many books on the subject.
I became aware of her works after reading one while studying other cultures. Something I began doing whilst spending long days in the office.
Was (am still not) an office type. Worked construction my whole life. Things change, and for a while I had the most wonderful office. I took the smallest room. Made it comfortable. There were many days when no-one even knew I was there.
I came in early. Got right to work. Wore headphones and listened to soothing music. Never needed the heater, never opened the blinds. Then, when my work was done, I’d read.
Was awakened one evening by co-worker who came to tell me that I was snoring.
Ha! Good times.

Practical Egyptian Magic by Murry Hope. 1986? A brief study into the three ancient Egyptian dynasties, their beliefs, and such. Hope appears to have done quite a bit of research into Egyptology as she has written many books on the subject.
I became aware of her works after reading one while studying other cultures. Something I began doing whilst spending long days in the office.
Was (am still not) an office type. Worked construction my whole life. Things change, and for a while I had the most wonderful office. I took the smallest room. Made it comfortable. There were many days when no-one even knew I was there.
I came in early. Got right to work. Wore headphones and listened to soothing music. Never needed the heater, never opened the blinds. Then, when my work was done, I’d read.
Was awakened one evening by co-worker who came to tell me that I was snoring.
Ha! Good times.
That sounds very interesting
I love historical subjects and will check this out.
cheers
A

Back