What causes irregular tread wear?

Inked Monkey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed that my rear tire is wearing a little funny. Looks like it's cupping on the left side of the tire. The tire looks straight in the frame. When I had my tires mounted, they didn't balance them for some reason, could that be a problem? I've heard mixed responses to tire balancing. What should I check out?

Thanks

The crown of the road being to ther left side of the bike can wear the left side if the tire.
The tire may be sraight to the frame, but is it straight behind the front tire? With the front tire straight up is the rear tire straight up?
Balance can cause odd tire wear. I like Dyna Beads for tire balance. Google it.

Thanks, next time I have somebody over here, I'll check it out compared to the front. It tracks good and leans fine. It probably wouldn't hurt to go have them balanced because when I'm around 65mph i get a shimmy/vibration.

you have not been riding in jackson co. have you . Sounds like alignment to me .
Get a laser and place it on the rear sprocket and check the two sprockets against the laser for trueness.

I suppose that would work or a regular level if it was long enough, always used a long piece of string looped around rear wheel myself, string should touch both front and rear sidewalls of rear tire tapering to front with equal distance to both rear front sidewalls assuming smaller front tire

BTW I tend to lean left also, I even got the Professional Left tee shirt just to piss off my right wing friends

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 51
Back