What do you think? To paint or not to paint?

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Title says it all...I stripped my tank and polished it up a bit....I am now wondering if I even want to paint this thing. I think it looks pretty badass as it is. But I also wouldn't mind throwing a nice color on it.

My options:

1. make everything that's currently brown, wrinkle painted black and leave tank as is.
2. Paint tank and all things brown a matching color
3. Strip all brown parts to match tank and leave as is
4. Do a accent of black wrinkle paint on tank (either a stripe or just the sides) and leave rest of tank stripped. Paint all brown wrinkle paint black.

My other question:

1. paint engine side covers, tappet and ignition covers wrinkle black
2. leave engine as is

full

All ideas welcome...this is just what i've thought up so far.

Thanks guys

JP50515, Man you live in Minnesota of all places.:D I'd paint it for sure. If go suggesting paint ideas,I won't have any left for myself.:laugh: Damn good looking bike by the way.

Ha thanks man. I know we get the worst of it all. Freezing winters and extremely humid summers. On one day for the last two summers I believe we actually broke records for being the most humid place on the planet besides the amazon rainforest ha.

Any opinions on painting the engine?

....Ha look at my car in the background. Lets just say that's not a custom paint job :laugh:

Attachments

• Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 143
I like unpainted engines myself,but I think painted would look good with polished bits like tappet covers and side covers.

Hmmm maybe on my cafe build, but I'm thinking of keeping it "rugged" on this thing hence the textured wrinkle paint. Just gives it a gritty kinda look/feel

Paint the tank. I'm not really a fan of the unfinished look. Even plain black would look cool... or you could send it to me for some flames or lace or stripes or something, cause im broke. :D And Ill throw in a strong vote for no paint on the motor. It looks real clean just how it is. Mine came painted, and I kinda wish it wasnt.

Okay yeah see that was my feeling about the motor as well...its kinda one of those one you do it you'll never get it back to the way it was (at least not easily.) RpNsHt i'm diggin that style you've decided on. Real retro 50's kinda vibe

Back