what is the best manual to buy

Having a 1980 XS650 Special II the need for a good manual that covers this "G" build is absolute. The Haynes and Clymer's I see on Amazon are not year specific, and neither is the Hans Pahl manual shown above. The latter one interests me a lot, and all three can be ordered for about 100 dollars. Will all these give me details for my model, and will it be overkill to order all three?
Thanks,
'TT'

Over the years, I've collected up most all of the 650 manuals except the Hans Pahl one. Honestly, I rarely even look at the Haynes or Clymer, relying pretty much exclusively on the factory Yamaha manuals. So, if you're going to buy one (or more), I'd include the factory manual in that mix. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, every year didn't get a full manual. Your G model was one that only got a supplement, made to be used along with the last previously full manual published, the one for the '78 E models. If you watch eBay and you're patient, eventually a full '78 E model manual that includes the supplements for the F and G models will come along. In the mean time, you can download them all for free from that XS Cafe site.

So, bottom line, I wouldn't bother with the Haynes and Clymer. You could spring for the Hans Pahl manual I guess, everyone says it's very good. But I'd really recommend you search out a factory one.

Back