what is the best manual to buy

sweatybetty89

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
was looking a few different manuals to get , the haynes, clymers and another i found that is just 76 -77 xs650 d its a green book on ebay from a company in new zealand. im leaning twords the last one if it is what it says it is. just wondering if any one knows not sure if this where i should post this either sorry if its not. thanks

Actually, it's not a bad idea to have several different ones so you can cross reference between them. Many of us feel the original factory manuals are best. They may not explain all the procedures as well because they were made for factory trained mechanics, but they do have the best spec listings. But, unless you want an actual book in your hands, there's no need to buy a factory manual. They are available to download free on the web. Of the other two you mentioned, I like the Haynes better than the Clymer. I've never heard of that one from New Zealand. Got a link?

OK, that manual from New Zealand looks to be nothing more than a fancy republished factory manual. You can find used originals for much less, usually under $20. As mentioned in it's description, it's a 1975 base manual that includes supplements for the '76 and '77 models. Yamaha didn't publish a full manual for every model year. Full manuals only came out every 3 or 4 years. The model years in between got smaller supplements outlining and differences or changes from the previous full manual. Your '77 model is one that got a supplement so you would look for the previous full manual that included it, something like this .....

full

You can download copies here .....

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/xs650-manuals/

They also have parts manuals.

OK, that manual from New Zealand looks to be nothing more than a fancy republished factory manual. You can find used originals for much less, usually under $20. As mentioned in it's description, it's a 1975 base manual that includes supplements for the '76 and '77 models. Yamaha didn't publish a full manual for every model year. Full manuals only came out every 3 or 4 years. The model years in between got smaller supplements outlining and differences or changes from the previous full manual. Your '77 model is one that got a supplement so you would look for the previous full manual that included it, something like this .....

full

You can download copies here .....

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/xs650-manuals/

They also have parts manuals.
Great place for free manuals. Parts and service.

That NZ one looks like a good manual. But I take 5T's point that it's probably similar to the factory book. Which you can download for free.

However, It's always nice to have a hard copy paper manual you can actually read instead of just looking up on screen. So, if it's not too expensive, I'd recommend the Haynes manual, gives the strip-down procedure with photos and work rounds if you don't have factory special tools.

I think it's more than just similar, it is the factory book just reprinted and bound up in a fancy spiral binding. One of the big benefits to having the actual book is the pictures are better quality. The PDF downloads don't reproduce the pics very well.

The PDF downloads don't reproduce the pics very well.
I have one factory manual in PDF that's for a 1983, looks to be complete manual, not a supplement, where the pictures are very good. If it's not at the link you gave, I can upload it somewhere, but it probably is. The other manuals though are like contrast is 100%

+1 re. the Hans Pahl engine book. It's full of clear color photos and very explicit instructions on tear down, assembly, and inspection. I found only two minor items to take issue with--fewer than the factory service manual, which has some errors converting from newton meters to foot pounds which could cause grief for the unwary.

Back