what oil do you all use?

shark1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i just got this bike i want to change all the fluids. what oil do you guys use. i run 5w-40 rottela T6 in my dirt bike. would that be fine in my xs?

shark1979,

There are as many opinions as brands and types of oil. Before this thread has ended, you will hear emotional rants, vindictive slurs and maybe even a sob or two. The oil one uses in ones motorcycle is a very sensitive subject.

I use ordinary Pennzoil automobile 20W50 in all my rides except for the CB750K-4 which uses Pennzoil 10W40 because it has Babbitt bearings and is a very high pressure dry sump system. I got 82,000 miles on my '78/E with Pennzoil 20W50 with regular changes at 1200 miles or less.

The important thing about oil in a air cooled motorcycle with roller or ball bearings in the crank is to change the oil often because the ball bearings and gears literally crush the molecular polymers that give the oil the "multi" in multi viscosity resulting in loss of viscosity and reversion to the base viscosity, IE 20W50 oil becomes 20W without the polymers.

The problem with expensive oils is one has a tendency to think that they can ride forever between changes because the oil is somehow better. Using a less expensive oil but changing more often, like less than 1200 miles or on condition, is the key to long engine life.

If you switch brands of oil, pay extra close attention to the level until time for the next change. Some oils will seep or get consumed much more quickly than others and you can find yourself a quart low before you realize it.

The guy I bought the bike from used 20w-50 schaffers . Which from messing with diesel truck I know it's good oil, but can't find it local and it is $$$$$$. Was looking for a cheaper oil that I could get local

p13.png

20-50W

find it at any napa, autozone, advance auto, etc.

Back