What wheel and sprocket do I have?

millrace

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a project 1977 650XS street tracker that I have been working on. The bike, when I bought it, was already a project. I have not ridden it.

I am in somewhat of a dilemma on what wheel and sprocket I have.
It came with an 18 x 2.18 alloy rear wheel with disk brakes. It has a 42 tooth sprocket attached with 4 bolts. The brake caliper lines up with the rotor and the rear brake seems to work well on the stand.
Does anyone know what wheel and sprocket This is? (see picture)
I need to get down to a 34 tooth sprocket. Does anyone have a recomendation?

There appears to be a mis-allignment between the front and rear sprockets. The rear is inboard by about 1/4 inch. Will this cause a problem?

I do not even know if it has a XS650 swingarm. Is there a way to tell?

Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 89
Swingarm looks stock, as does the brake caliper/rotor. Haven't seen that bolt pattern before on the sprocket. looks like its from a smaller bike though (4 bolts). Easy enough to buy a sprocket blank and drill out your bolt pattern... 32 tooth sprocket blank

For $20 thats the way i would go, if you cant find one obviously.

Great info, thanks. I think the spacer route with a XS650 sprocket is the way to go. Any idea what I can use as a spacer or do I make one from scratch? How about a cut down XS400 sprocket if I can find one without the cutouts?

I am with you. I was just trying to save a step or two as the XS400 sprocket is 3/8 inch wide and it already has the center hole and 4 bolt holes already drilled. Thanks again for the good info.

Hi.

I also have a 18" rear mag wheel but it´s a FRONTwheel from the XS400 with an homemade adapter for the sprocket. Mesure it if the spokes are thinner then a stock front wheel (xs650). Mine are:yikes:

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB056318.JPG
    FB056318.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 99
  • FB169500.JPG
    FB169500.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 86
I do not have the tools available for me to fabricate the adapter or accurately drill the XS650 sprocket for the XS400 alloy wheel. Can anyone recommend a machinest that would do this? I live in the Long Beach, Orange County CA area. Thanks, Millrace

Back