wheel bearing spacers or sleeve ?

jo jo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im replacing the bearing on back drum rim,maybe 77/78, not sure.shouldnt therebe a sleeve between the bearings the axle slides thru? It just has like a reducer on the inside of this funky bearing on the left side.........

There's a spacer like a long tube inside the drum between the bearings, plus the reducer you mention which we call the 'top hat' due to it's shape. The one inside is just a straight tube with a flange pressed on it to keep it from falling over. The flange goes to the right. The brim of the top hat also goes to the right.

There's a spacer like a long tube inside the drum between the bearings, plus the reducer you mention which we call the 'top hat' due to it's shape. The one inside is just a straight tube with a flange pressed on it to keep it from falling over. The flange goes to the right. The brim of the top hat also goes to the right.
OkOh boy, i new it. The axel was just riding on the bearings. Where can get A spacer?

OkOh boy, i new it. The axel was just riding on the bearings. Where can get A spacer?

what the spacer does is keep the bearings from squeezing in past their proper spacing, without it it's possible to keep tightening the axle nut and squeeze the bearings into the center of the hub

The axle does in fact ride on the right bearing, but the spacer is in there to hold the pressure of tightening the nut without destroying the bearings, like jayel said.

As for getting one, to get the top hat people have bought whole wheels with bearings to get it. You might have to do the same for the other spacer. I'd look on ebay, and the classifieds on this site here are good. Look for just the spacer first, of course. There's a remote possibility Yamaha still offers the part. Check with a dealer. It's shown in the parts diagram he should be able to pull up. Yamaha still offers some surprising things for the bike new.

Back